Surgery questions

Hi Manx!
Yes, my op’s gone very well thanks- I had the first side done a year ago, and I think both surgeries went well, far easier than I expected, and this one was easier than the first. You will need to ask your doctor specific questions, as different doctors have different methods. My doctor goes in behind the ear, and just down into the neck but following the crease so it barely show, I suppose the wound’s just over 2" long. I had dissolvable stitches. The doc I saw is a skull base surgeon, so is used to operating in that area, I have seen some members’ pics where they’ve had a more obvious surgery wound across the neck, so it’s something to ask. I had a pressure bandage and a drip overnight- looked really alarming as they bandaged my whole head up, but I don’t think that’s commonly done! I stayed in one night because they put in a drip, but a lot of docs don’t do that and people can go home the same day. I had a really small dressing over the wound, but hubby took that off after a couple of days and it was fine. Once it’s healed it’s a good idea to rub some oil into it to soften it all; I still do that with the side I had done a year ago as it still seems to tighten and get uncomfortable- you can get oils specially for scars etc., Bio-oil or something like that.
Sleeping has been a bit tricky, as it can be difficult to get comfy. Like MiniFury said, a wedge pillow will keep you semi-upright and help reduce swelling, and an orthopaedic/ V shaped pillow will help so the pillow’s not pressing into the side of your neck- I’ve had to sleep like that for a couple of years now anyway, because of the symptoms from ES.
Recovery-wise, it’s best to take things easy, not to lift anything, just be sensible really. I’ve found my neck’s uncomfortable to turn, I haven’t driven yet, but I think other’s have not had that problem. I’m sure if I really had to I could! Most people have had at least a couple of week off work- I do lifting, and it’s voluntary work anyway, so I’m planning to have four weeks away to make sure I’m completely better! The worst thing for me first time was chewing, and opening my mouth far was painful, so I had lots of smoothies etc., but that’s not been a problem this time, I could eat pretty much normally right from the start.
Certainly for me it’s been well worth it. I had some scary vascular symptoms, and they’re massively better. When I look back to how ill I felt, I’m over the moon at how I feel now. But I also had Trigeminal nerve pain, and that hasn’t gone completely. It is gradually improving though, and I have some days where I don’t have it at all. It’s taken a year to improve though, so you might have to be patient- I presume that you get GPN pain?
At the end of the day surgery has risks, but there is no ‘cure’ for ES other than surgery, so it’s an individual decision based on how much pain you’re in and how your life’s being affected.
There’s lots of detailed posts about recovery, just search for recovery after surgery and you’ll find a few if you want to read about others’ experiences, but here’s a couple of links to get you started!
Bilateral Eagle Syndrome Extraoral Surgery #1 of 2: My day 1 experience/post-op recovery/tips, Bilateral Eagle Syndrome Extraoral Surgery #1 of 2: 30 DAY POST-OP UPDATE/Surgery #2 of 2 prep
There is info in the newbies section- ES Info, but the links are to the previous website; I’m in the process of updating it all so should be done soon! hope this essay helps- sorry it’s a bit long!!