1 year (almost) post right sided styloidectomy/C1 resection update

The C1 restructuring technique will not help in your case. Treat thrombosis of the right transverse sinus with medication.
As for me, you didn’t have significant compression of the IJV, it is there, but it’s small; it’s debatable whether it could have had a significant impact on the volumetric outflow (Honestly, my opinion is that I see on the CT images at the very beginning, at that moment, you not have compression ). And even on the right side your IJV is better than on the left, on the left side it is compressed more strongly. But again, this is not significant compression and it is debatable whether it could affect blood flow. 3D reconstruction may not be accurate, transverse sinuses. I looked at the axial and sagittal sections of the MRI and yes, your right transverse sinus is tightly thrombosed (an error in diagnosis and it is unknown whether it brought any benefit surgery.)
With thrombosis (arteriosclerosis, infections, cholesterol, sugar). That’s why your IJV did not open immediately after surgery. Well, there is good news, she has filled up more, due to the blood thinning pills, perhaps the clot will resolve over time. They’re operating on a blood clot, but it’s still dangerous.
In your situation, the transverse sinus thrombus is to blame. Perhaps, at one time, the dislocation of the atlas was stronger and the IJV on this side was more compressed, and the transverse sinus, due to low blood velocities, turned into a sump, a reservoir for cholesterol plaques, possibly an infection-disease or simply arteriosclerosis.
This is a general idea, not for your case.
Your atlas is not severely dislocated. Do MRI arteriography and venography of the head and neck, rule out the presence of stenosis and arteriosclerosis. As Doctors Peter Nakaji and Michael Lawton wrote and as I think based on hydrodynamics, it is necessary to remove compression from the non-dominant side. Why ? Because the resistance of the weak side (non-dominant side) is greater, and when you release the dominant side, the blood flow will increase, but on the non-dominant side it will decrease (because fluid, like electric current, flows more along the branch where the resistance is less) and in the end you further reduce blood flow on the non-dominant side. As a result, you get headaches in that hemisphere, etc. In general, I think that if there is significant compression on both sides, then you need to operate on both sides after some time. Why ? Because after 1-2 years, the distribution of blood flow will improve and the veins will begin to change their sizes and in the end, on the one hand there will be a small deficiency. Of course, there won’t be any special or strong symptoms, but still. only if you have poor metabolism and are prone to arteriosclerosis, the transverse sinus may gradually, over a couple of years, thrombose due to low speeds. And the risks of a second operation are probably greater than mild residual symptoms. one working IJV is quite enough.headaches can also be due to disc herniations (protrusions) that put pressure on the spinal cord of the cervical region, but this is easy to see on an MRI. But the accompanying numbness of the hands. It is possible, but unlikely, that the body rebuilds the vascular system of the head (some vessels narrow and some expand, distribution of blood flow), bypass paths are not needed, and builds new ones, perhaps this is why the head hurts. Well, there are many more possible reasons, thrombosis, arteriosclerosis, you need to do an examination, multiple sclerosis (by the way, Paolo Zamboni vascular Italian doctor), ischemia, tumor, Chiari and much more.
if this picture was taken after surgery, then yes, there will be an effect from the surgery. But if this picture is before the operation, then you did not have compression at that time.

and even in the next picture, before, strong compression is also not visible

1 Like