Coping mechanisms for jugular compression

Sorry been slow in sending more ideas.

My first suggestion is to get yourself a Viatom ring (via Amazon), cost about £ 150 - as it’s the best self- diagnostic/ self management tool I found. I am still using it in early post op stages. It will record your pulse & oxygen on app used on phone. You will then see when your pulse is rising (which will make your head worse) and oxygen too. You can set alarm levels (mine is heart rate below 60 and above 120 and oxygen below 90). Ring will vibrate on your finger when you are at alarm levels. If you pay attention to this data you will soon identify some common triggers that are making you worse.

Examples might be head rotation or flexion (eg looking down at keyboard/phone). You can then avoid/manage triggers better.

I made notes on key changes so I could track issues to triggers (eat, walk, tv etc). I use tag function on my Oura ring (tracks sleep) but you can use a bit of paper or notes on phone etc.

For me managing my pulse rate up to limit of mid 70s helped me manage head better. Once pulse reaches 80s I am headed for trouble, over 90s (unless walking slowly) means big head issues for me. Blood is going in head faster than can escape I think, so building pressure/pain. For me as pulse rises and fluid builds my oxygen levels also start to fall a bit. So I use rising heart rates and oxygen falling as early warning signs and take action before crisis stage.

I agree with all your other measures. I’d add staying cool- our body pumps blood faster to cool us if we get hot. Stick to walking or other non-aerobic work, higher aerobic work will push extra blood in head to get trapped there-increasing head pressure and pain.

Photobiomodulation- Novothor machine ( like sunbed but not for tanning) is very good and really helped me before operations to cope - Thor UK has map on website - mostly in USA/Canada. May be others. Consider a home use device like Helios or Joovv, they are very good at helping to move fluids in body. Don’t use it on your head- use it to draw fluids lower down your body. Helps nerve pain too.

Lymphatic drainage - we have too much fluid trapped in our heads and doing lymph work can reduce fluids in head. It will return but it provides relief. Vital after surgery in my view. Go on Vodder.com website and therapist tab to find qualified person near you. Try to find one with physiomed Hivamat 200 machine as it’s deep ossilation is more effective than just manual work. Watch what they do and think what you can copy. They do train you how to help yourself with manual drainage work. I only found out about this after surgery but believe it would have helped me before. They can do manual work on your head to move fluids.

I am just trying a Bodyflow hire machine (german) now. I believe it can pull fluids from my head while upright when used on back but still in early days. If does could help when used on computer time.

Hope some of those ideas prove helpful if you decide to try them. Keep strong. D

4 Likes