Eagles Syndrome diagnosis

Pre op is Tuesday, as bones are kinking my artery. Surgery scheduled based on testing and availability. Tests scheduled to make sure arteries are clear. Put me in neck brace til surgery. Thanks for list of Drs. Not inclined to go to NYC where virus is still going. I have to do this surgery twice. First left side, due to artery being worse on that side. I’m grateful they diagnosed me so quickly. Have no idea what recovery entails, every surgery I’ve had has been difficult. I trust Dr Coniglio in Rochester. Dr DeLacure staff was willing to get me in on Thursday if I could get there with test results in hand. Maybe Pa Dr , as my ligament are fine.
Your help is invaluable. Ether than anything I’m getting out of medical community. My primary care Dr hasn’t even bothered to call me. Need an advocate for me, but none other than this group. Thank you, thank you.

2 Likes

eastmas,
Glad you are getting a handle on docs and wish you the best. I was thinking about a neck brace until surgery and was going to suggest for stability. Most docs do sides in 2 surgeries. Not surprised PCP out of pix. It takes a specialized doc who knows ES to take notice and listen to patients. Just make sure Dr. Coniglio has experience in a significant amount of these surgeries. IE: Ask how many he has done and how often.

I did ask and asked about if he removed bone to the skull. He does these surgeries, but since it’s rare not as often as I’d like. Did one just last week.
Thanks to this group, I’m learning what to ask. Reached out to friends in medical community here and some never heard of Eagle. A couple who knew about it ,have been helpful.

2 Likes

Thats great. Best to be well informed going into any surgery. If its less than 50, I would reconsider.

Hi eastmas!

I’m excited about the prospect of being able to add another NY doctor to our list. We will wait to see how your surgery goes. It’s better to have options in any state. Some states have several while others still have none.

Hi Eastmas1 and welcome to the group. I am writing to send my encouragement. I hope that your surgery goes smoothly and that you get relief quickly. I will respectfully disagree with the idea that 10 ES surgeries a year is not many for Dr. Coniglio. (I have no specific info on this doc to bring to the table, and your level of comfort with him is more important than anything I write.) If he has done that many surgeries over a number of years, he is more experienced than most as we are rare birds. It is possible that there just are not that many ES patients in his catchment area.

2 Likes

Will be praying for you… hope the pre-op goes as well as they can do, & let us know when you get a date for surgery!

I totally agree w/ what you said, onelessstyloid! Thank you for that encouragement for eastmas1.

Today is visit to neurologist for pre op. Both bones are 4.6 and will come off to skull and kinked the artery on left, so we start on left. Two operations. Left then right. Angiogram to see what arteries look like… I’m 72 so they could be clogged up with French fries, cheeseburgers and cookies. Read online that you are left with horrible neck scares, wondering about that, and what recovery will be like. Asking questions as suggested. I’ll keep you posted.

Usually the surgeons try to cut in the creases of the neck, but surgeons do have different techniques. Best to ask about that, but it’ll be worth it even if you do have a scar!

Hi Eastmas1,
I had large incision but it healed well. Within just a few weeks of my surgery others did not notice the scar at all unless I showed them where it was. Hopefully this will be your experience also.

2 Likes

I had the same experience as onelessstyloid. I was 58 when I had my surgeries so not a spring chicken. See pics below.

I’m impressed, can’t even tell. How long did it take to heal, any special treatment used to make it look so good?

It took a couple of months to heal, & Dr. Samji recommended Mederma w/ sunscreen so that’s what I used. Others on this forum have used silicone “scar reducing” patches purchased on Amazon. Here’s a link to one brand (I’m not recommending it per se. Just want you to see what I’m talking about). https://www.amazon.com/Puriderma-Medical-Silicone-Removal-Sheets/dp/B07P6DTQTT/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=silicone+scar+patches&qid=1596078440&sr=8-6

I’m sure your surgeon will do a good job. Docs who leave big/unnecessary scars don’t get many referrals. :wink:

Hi eastmas1, you’ll be in my thoughts, hoping your surgery gives you relief. How soon is the surgery?

I wish I knew. Just had angiogram Thursday and it was a bigger deal than I expected. Can’t drive, bend or lift for five days. Symptoms are always changing. My symptoms are ever changing too. Today is numbness on right side of face and forehead. No throat pain , right ear numb. Clicking on right jaw. Waiting to call Dr this am.

Hope you hear soon, thinking of you… :pray: :bouquet:

Me too. Thanks for prays and thoughts. Still waiting. Trying to be patient.

2 Likes