First surgery complete!

Hi @IJVCompression!
I’m doing great. I’m about to go get my second surgery this Thursday on the right side. I had the left styloid removed last Jan. I had one on each side, but the left was the worst. Most of my vascular compression is resolved which solved most of my problems. I guess I never did write my symptoms, so here it is.
Some are one side and some both. R is right. L is left
Before surgery
(R/L)Tinnitus
(R/L)Pain in throat
(R/L)Pain in neck under jaw
(R/L)Pain in neck cervial
(R/L)Cluster Headaches
(R/L)Feeling like head is squeezed
(R)Sharp pain in eye socket
(L)Arm/hand twitching
(R/L)Excess saliva
(R/L)Dry eyes
Brain fog
(L)Feel lump in throat when swallow
High heart rate
Vertigo
(R/L)Pain in upper back from spine
(L)TMJ joint hurts
Nausea
Unexplained high heart rate
No sense of smell

After left side surgery
(R)Tinnitus
(R)Pain in throat
(R)Pain in neck under jaw
(R)Pain in neck cervial
(R)Feeling like head is squeezed
(R)Sharp pain in eye socket
(L)Arm/hand twitching
(R/L)Excess saliva
(R/L)Dry eyes
(R)Pain in upper back from spine
Some activity based vertigo. Ex. Elevators.
Also a updated pic. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response, that’s very helpful and great to hear things have improved as a result!

It sounds like there’s a good chance your upcoming surgery will bring further benefits, wishing you all the best for it :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Wishing you well for your upcoming surgery ! Praying for a speedy recovery and full resolution of remaining symptoms!

2 Likes

No problem and thank you. The first surgery had literally no pain associated with the surgery itself. I’m praying that the second one will go the same, but I have realistic expectations.

2 Likes

Thank you! :blush:

Will add in my prayers for a successful surgery too, best wishes. Let us know how it’s gone when you’re able :pray:

Thank you! I will update in probably about a week. :grin:

2 Likes

Your incision has healed very nicely. I’m glad you’re getting the second side done w/ the symptoms you have. I will also pray for a successful surgery with great results. :pray:t3::gift_heart:

1 Like

Small update! The surgery went great. :grin:
Here is my new incision. The inside of my throat is a little sore, but all is good.

3 Likes

Thank you for giving us an update so soon after surgery, @Bluemaple! I hope your recovery goes smoothly & quickly. Your incision looks pretty amazing right after surgery. I imagine it may get more swollen over the next few days but you’ve been through this so know the drill - head elevation, ice, & pain meds will be your buddies for the next several weeks. Please let us know how you’re doing after some time passes. :hugs:

1 Like

It’s been 24 hours. I can say I have more bruising this time down the Sternocleidomastoid muscle along my neck. Makes sense because this styloid was growing in a different direction. The pain is maybe a 1 or a 2. I am taking tylenol as directed and icing because the incision itself is a bit swollen. I know the swelling will be at it’s worst a couple days from now.

I am surprised how different this side feels from the last one. It’s about the same pain wise, but this time there is more bruising with little to no dizziness. I think this side didn’t really cause compression so it’s a bit easier on me to recover.

I was so worried for this second surgery because everything went so perfectly last time. That is, no pain and symptoms were immediately gone. I am so happy to say this one went just as well as the first. I feel better, eagle’s symptom wise, even now. It’s just incredible what these little bones do to us.
Thank you so much for your support! :blush:

4 Likes

So pleased that you feel the surgery’s gone well! My second side surgery was very different to the first side too, mostly easier…take care of yourself the next few days especially, praying all goes well :grinning: :pray:

1 Like

Your incision still looks great! I’m glad to know this surgery has produced the same good recovery from ES symptoms early on like your first surgery did. :clap:t3::clap:t3:

1 Like

It’s day 4!
I’m still doing good. The swelling is up more than the first couple days. I haven’t needed any pain meds so far, but I have them ready if I do. Fingers crossed I won’t need them. I keep icing on regular intervals, walking a bit, and not laying flat to keep the swelling down. Seems to be working so far.

I didn’t get the same numbness in my jaw and ear this time. Not too painful, but I can feel the muscle in my neck and shoulder burn. It only smarts really bad when I forget and try to lift my head with my neck muscles when I get up. I was having a bit of a flare-up, nerve wise, when I went into surgery and now I can feel ghost like touches along the paths where the nerves were hurting across my face and behind my eye. Not painful, but kinda weird.

Also, I get a flash of pain in my jaw when I first start eating or drinking something. It catches me off guard sometimes. I think I’ve seen other people here talk about the same thing so I’m not worried about it.
This go around is much different, but still going well. :grin:

3 Likes

Your incision looks truly amazing at 4 days post op. It does sound like you’ve gotten First Bite Syndrome which isn’t unusual with this type of surgery. It will diminish & most likely go away over the next 4 mos.

You’re doing all the right things & I’m so glad you haven’t needed pain meds! Lucky you!!

2 Likes

Sounds like you’re doing really well for day4! Healing well…take care :hugs: :pray:

2 Likes

Hi wanted to check in with you to see how you are doing?

Sorry for the late reply! I had surgery and then had to prepare for my grandmas breast cancer surgery. She just had her surgery this last Monday and all went well. I am also healing well! All healed up and back to exercising. Almost all my symptoms are dying down now. Still having some nerve pain and neck muscle tightness, but its really minimal compared to before.
Thanks for checking in. :grin:

6 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about your grandma having breast cancer, @Bluemaple! Good to know all went well though. I hope she’s free & clear of cancer for the rest of her life!

Great to hear you’re doing so well! I hope those last few aches & pains head out the door ASAP!

3 Likes

Hi @Bluemaple sorry to hear about your grandma but glad both your and her surgeries went well. Amazing that you have found so much relief from your symptoms!

Did you ever have fatigue as well? Or did the brain fog get worse when you tried to use your brain?

4 Likes