Hyoid Bone and ES

I still dont believe I’ll get back to normal but just to get rid of the ringing and whooshing and light headedness from basically nothing. The neck pain. I feel like my neck vertabre are just floating all around in my neck like they’re in water. I’ve got some leather like muscle (scapula?) that feels very strangely attached to around c3 or 4. And now it seems the pain at the base of my skull is getting worse and decent sized lumps have emerged from under the base of skull. 1 on left is biggest and was first. Now have one in middle and a smaller one forming on the right. I can move them around. Tbh I feel death lurking. Not yet hunting, but definitely taking notice

I had physiotherapy prior to surgery as I’ve also got a prolapsed disc & had lots of muscle tension through that & ES; some simple exercises really helped me, maybe that could be something to try while you wait for surgery? Otherwise others have had some relief with acupuncture. Chiropractors need to be knowledgeable about ES or could do alot of damage. Some members have tried the lidocaine/ steroid injections into the area, as a temporary measure, again, I don’t know if that’s a possibility?

1 Like

I’m sorry for your symptoms & pain. There are a number of muscles that attach to the cervical vertebra - some are tiny & some bigger. The trapezius comes to mind from your description. I TOTALLY had the pain at my skull base. It was a deep ache & was miserable. I totally sympathize. I didn’t have the lumps but sure felt like I should have been able to feel something! Odd that those are mobile. Would be worth asking about them at your next appt.

Jules gave you some great suggestions. PT &/or trying an injection while you await surgery could really help improve your comfort level.

I will get a consistent routine going. Thanks for the tips Jules. My consult is finally coming up this coming Friday, and he if I have to wait for any time I will get the shot.
It is tough to exercise at this point. Lightheaded. The whooshing. The pain but really that’s always here now. I did do acupuncture this last fall. I was writhing in pain. The whole right side of my body felt like it was being stretch towards my left side like a canvas over a frame. She helped greatly and ultimately put me on the path to finding the Eagle.
I know the Styloids grow over time. I had pain in the past, but this past May I was doing heavy lifting in the yard, and right at the end if the day my leg was going numb then cramped and hurt. Like crying from the pain hurt. Could the Styloid somehow have shifted during the work I was doing and came to rest on all the goodies up in there… nerves, artery, jugular? Because since that day the pain has just increased. The leg got a bit better, but not great. Acupuncture gave me some life back but that was a couple of months ago now.
I appreciate you both for lending an ear and giving encouragement the way you do. You’ve helped me so much like you have so many others. I have read the threads. The pain. And finally with your help, the triumph of gaining back hope, which helps in itself, as we pursue surgery as a last resort. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!

2 Likes

Kingjawz

HOORAY! Consult on Friday! That’s fantastic! I will pray for it to go well & surgery to be scheduled ( or is that the purpose of the appt - to schedule surgery?).

If acupuncture helped in the past, you could go for another round. Nothing wrong with that & the upside is it doesn’t put any sort of medication in your body, just helps ease tightness & stress.

As far as whether or not your yard work in May caused the current situation, it could have started the pain cycle. Styloids can shift w/ coughing, sneezing, laughing, etc. Since you use your neck muscles for heavy lifting there could be something to your suspicions as they could have put pressure on your styloids & caused the change. Just getting those nasty things outta there should help you a lot especially since it will help your jugular veins re-open & get your brain blood flow back to a more normal state. (I’m assuming you have vascular ES based on your symptoms).

1 Like

Hope that it goes well on Friday, will be thinking of you!

1 Like