My Weird Symptoms

We’re not doctors on here, so some of your diagnoses & report comments are above me I’m afraid, but it certainly sounds as if quite a few of your symptoms could be due to vascular ES…
Blacking out when your head is in a certain position is quite a common vascular ES symptom, as is vertigo, & headaches. Fullness feeling in your ear can be a vascular ES symptom too, or possibly one of the nerves to the ear being irritated, although it can be more with jugular compression, & that can affect the optic nerve too, as well as brain fog. Swallowing discomfort & issues are a common symptom, voice changes have been noted by some (& there’s a link in the Newbies Guide Section to an article about an ES patient with this). After surgery the facial nerve can be stretched & drooping eyelid can be caused, so maybe this is caused by the styloid irritating that nerve? The accessory nerve can also be affected so that can cause arm weakness & shoulder pain, but given you have other neck issues it could be hard to say. If the vagus nerve is compressed that can cause heart issues, changes in pulse rate (although again these can be caused by pressure on the carotid sinus with vascular ES), plus digestion issues, anxiety…
There’s more details & links to info, discussions etc in the Newbies Guide Section here:
ES Information: Common Symptoms And Possible Explanations For Them - Welcome / Newbies Guide to Eagle Syndrome - Living with Eagle
Isaiah40_31 has also posted links to informative clips on YouTube:
(16) 2-Minute Neuroscience: Trigeminal Nerve (Cranial Nerve V) - YouTube
Many of the cranial nerves are affected by ES so worth a look.
I think given that on the report you have other vascular issues, it would be advisable to see an experienced vascular surgeon, it does sound like there’s quite a bit going on with your neck as well as ES. I know with jugular compression from ES, other veins can take over & swell, but not sure if this is possible with carotid compression, it’s perhaps something to ask about.
As for whether surgery would be dangerous, all surgeries carry a risk, equally though leaving the styloid processes in can be a risk, although this is very rare. A good vascular surgeon would be able to explain more about this to you. Dr Omlie has done some successful surgeries, I guess you could start there & see how much knowledge he has about vascular ES, & if he can give you any answers about your strange anatomy?!

1 Like