New ES diagnosis

Hi gspector!

Welcome to this wonderful site! If your stylohyoid ligament is calcified & you have pain, you definitely have Eagle Syndrome. There is much information in the Newbies section (found when you click the “HOME” tab above), and of course, we encourage you to read through as many of the old posts (FORUMS tab above) as you can to see what other people’s symptoms are (or were pre-op).

ES is a frustrating critter as there are common symptoms among ES sufferers, but there also tend to be symptoms unique to each individual. The symptoms you listed for yourself are among the more common. Sadly, there is no way to “de-calcify” bones. The only real cure for ES is surgery. I have had two ES surgeries done extraorally - through my neck as opposed to intraorally - through the throat behind the tonsil. Having my elongated styloids & partially calcified ligaments removed has given me back my life. Living with the myriad symptoms of ES on a daily basis can be intolerable.

GOOD NEWS!! You happen to live in an area where there are several excellent ES surgeons. Below is the name of one particular doctor who has probably done the most ES surgeries in the eastern U.S.

Dr Cognetti**
Philadelphia
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital
215 - 955 - 6760
Jefferson Health - Greater Philadelphia & South Jersey Region ofessionals/david-m-cognetti

If you click on the Doctor Info link found on the Home page, there are some specific doctor recommendations you can read.

Here is the link to the Doctors List:

http://forum.livingwitheagle.org/t/updated-doctor-lists-5-10-16/1281

I’m glad you’re getting pain relief from the Gabapentin, but sadly, as you noted, your pain will return when you stop the medication.

Please feel free to ask questions & by all means, keep us informed about your condition as time passes. We are here to support you.

:blush:

1 Like