New here and terrified!

onelessstyloid, thank you for your response. I will take your advice. I think I just needed to hear positives after reading so many negatives. I am going to get through this and I am going to be fine… that’s what I keep telling myself.

2 Likes

I’m not going to repeat what others have said other than I think the steroids after surgery made all the difference in the world and helped me to avoid taking pain medications overall and feeling of less fuzzy brain from the meds.
Although most docs say 2 weeks for external and some have gone back to work within days, I would lean on the side of very conservative recovery time as everyone is different. Personally I would go for 1 month (at least) given your job. Given COVID situation, I suggest taking longer if you can if you are at high risk of exposure. I made the mistake of pushing it with a hysterectomy and regretted it. If you have short-term disability, use it! That is what it is there for.
Im 8 weeks out from my surgery and although it has been a walk in the part compared to other surgeries Ive had, Ive extended my medical leave to an unpaid leave of absence. Ive done that because of high-risk job of exposure as well as other work issues and trying to decide how soon to have other side done. I am certainly glad I have taken the time off as work can be very stressful. It is summer and Im enjoying hunkering down in my garden. I still have good and bad days as far as recovery. Extra stress doesnt help recovery. I just got some injections in my jaw and temples as the muscles and nerves are a little overactive from the surgery. I keep having to remind myself its been only 8 weeks and as other share, it can take months and months for full recovery. Be kind to yourself and dont push yourself back to work too soon.

You need to remember who is on and not on this listserv. I have been participating for about a year now, and in that time there have been LOTS of positive outcomes, but those people tend to not need the support/advice anymore and leave the list. Those remaining are disproportionately those who have had difficulty. I hope you have a wonderful outcome. Just be patient. At certain points in recovery my symptoms felt like nothing had changed, but in reality I had huge improvement.

2 Likes

Sometimes, the surgeons give an IV of steroids during surgery. If so, you may not need any steroids after surgery. The IV’s really help for a few weeks.
That was my surgeon’s protocol. He was ok with a short supply of pain meds, which I refused do to allergies. I managed with ice and Tylenol, though my second surgery was a bit harder.

1 Like

So glad to hear this emma. I am looking forward to the future and this being over. I talked to my surgeon today and he will not be sending me home with steroids. He will give me pain meds though. I will be staying overnight.

Good job working into a positive attitude, luv4pj!! A positive mindset makes such a HUGE difference when facing a major health challenge.

FYI my surgeon used epinephrine as the surgical anti-inflammatory. Not sure if that’s standard practice though.

:hugs:

I’m going through the same shite, but what helps me is thinking that this isn’t cancer, as bad as this is, (and lets be honest, its BAD!!)
it will not kill us, or crush us.
It does affect us all in slightly different ways as no bone grows identically in either one of us, I am battling away every day and trying to look after a fleet of trucks, so I can’t professionally under perform, if I lose this job I am in trouble and so is my family.
My family are relying on me too, its business as usual, bank still wants their money every month because they don’t care about ES. This too keeps me going.
I’m a 53 year old who has been fit all my life apart from breaking bones, cycling, walking my dogs through the mountains and on and off road motorcycling helps me-this isnt for every one! -it occupies my mind, its a distraction, if I don’t concentrate then who knows what?
Try to be occupied, and carry on as normal, I swim as well and this is a great help, exercise in general helps me, buy may not help others, I don’t know.
I have paracetamol because opiates don’t work, amitripylene to help insomnia, illegal substances (not recommended at all)
And I have valium at the chemist but do think I will bother
A strong Belgium beer a day with my dinner
And I have become stubborn.
Squeaky wheel don’t squeak anymore, it has locked up causing a fire
Treat your self well, do things you like doing and don’t let ES get in your way of anything.
I take comfort knowing it isn’t just me.
I probably said something that may have upset you so I apologise if I did.
We will get through this.
Breathing exercises at night, in bed and neck massages when my severe head/neck/eye pain comes helps, roll my neck on massage balls is another great help-looks kind of strange so maybe best behind closed doors

2 Likes

Thank you for your post, optimistic! I’m so glad you’re able to stay active & that it’s helping to keep your life from being defined by ES. Appreciate your positive input here. You WILL get through this. I’m praying that your Sept appt. will be the light at the end of the tunnel that you’ve been wandering through.

1 Like