New member... Question about styloid length history

Just got results of my 2nd CT scan, which shows that BOTH styloids are moderately long! The right is 4.3 cm, and the left (which is where the symptoms are) is 3.8 cm, but curving into the hyoid bone and pressing on the carotid. Just started gabapentin (no help yet, but it’s just the first day), and will meet with ENT next week to discuss options.

dtcolbert ~

I’m glad you have your CT scans done & an appointment awaiting you w/ your ENT. Those are great steps forward. I’m sorry you have vascular compression but you will get relief from that post op even if it takes a few weeks/months.

Yes, patience is the name of the game both w/ nerve pain meds & post op. Those darn nerves are just so difficult! They are slow to respond both to nerve pain meds & in recovering after a surgery, BUT our bodies are designed to heal & thrive. If we take care of them, for the most part, they do heal with time which allows thriving!! :blush:

Pleased that you have ES confirmed & an answer at least. The Gabapentin can take a little while to work, so persevere!
Not sure if your ENT is on the list? It’s really important that the surgeon has experience with surgery, they need to remove as much as possible of the styloid, & to smooth the tip off. If surgeons operate externally then that’s better for being able to see to remove more, but intra-oral can be succesfully done. If you’re not confident with your doctor, please get a 2nd opinion- there’s 3 on our doctors list in Oregon.

I am newly diagnosed and scheduled for surgery on March 10th. Mine styloid processes are unbelievably long ( I know because noone believes me but my CT scan verifies it) He is doing surgery to remove the left which is 8.6cm. He is NOT removing the right which is 6.5cm because it is not causing me issues. This entire thing is just blowing my mind.

I get so frustrated that because no one knows about Eagle’s syndrome…no one seems to believe it exists.

shayney,

WOW! Your left styloid is long! Sounds like your calcification runs from skull base to hyoid bone. That is significant!

Please know that some of your current symptoms could be coming from that long right styloid as well even if you don’t have pain specifically on the right side. Symptoms do cross over from one side to the other. I’m telling you this so you aren’t discouraged if you’re still symptomatic after your first surgery. Many of us have had good recoveries after surgery only to find ES pain returning & getting worse (even on the post op side). This is a good indication that the other styloid needs to be removed & NOT that the first surgery was unsuccessful. Just prepare yourself in case you experience this.

The styloids are not usually removed at the same time, as the swelling would be too much. So hopefully after you’ve healed (usually 3-6 months) you can have the 2nd side done, if you have symptoms still.

I appreciate the information. I was really surprised he didn’t seem concerned about the right one. I will keep your words in mind. Im anxious to get off of the medications Ive been on for this. Anxious to feel like myself again.

1 Like