Nicole, 25, CT, New to ES

Hi Nicole, I suggest going to see Dr. Eaton Chen, http://www.southernnewenglandent.com/eaton-chen.html. I went through years of frustration with other ENTs that did not know what to look for or did not believe what I was telling them, until I saw Dr. Chen, who seemed to have an idea right away. I have not had surgery or any other treatments because I have learned to live with this so far but I am reconsidering as my tinnitus can be devastating at times, and I now believe that other symptoms may now be connected to Eagle Syndrome.

I have not seen him in about a year but I have another appointment next week. I do not know if he does the surgeries but he was able to diagnose me and I want to rethink the surgery.

Best of Luck to you

1 Like

Well, I called the number thatā€™s listed for CT doctors, asking for benjamin Johnson, and ultimately after a week I got an appointment with a doctor Sasaki, FYI for yale new haven cancer center Dr Wendell grey said Dr sasaki would see me for eagle syndrome, NOT Dr benjamin judson, so idk if anyone would want to change that information. I saw him today and he examined my mouth and throat, pressing to look for the styloid. He kept asking which one caused more pain which I couldnā€™t say, it hurts equally. But he said he could feel the left one and that they could do surgery but no promises it would help with my long list of symptoms. I asked how many he had performed, he said a dozen. I asked him external or intraorally and he said inside. So Iā€™m booked for March 6th. I canā€™t really say how I feel. He said itā€™s very simple and thatā€™s itā€™s just like a tonsillectomy. Iā€™m not the most comfortable with it but I feel like beggars canā€™t be choosers? I just donā€™t really feel like I can communicate with him that well. Not much of a people person I guess. Plus the whole office was in there looking at the poking and prodding which hurt so bad! I kept gagging and drooling everywhere sweating profusely my anxiety kicking up, and now my throat REALLY hurts. Aghhh. I just want to eat food with out pain. Not hear crackling and blood flow in my ear, and not feel like my neck is gonna snap when Iā€™m trying to sleep.

So glad you have surgery on the calendar. If you see him again pre-op, ask Dr. Sasaki to cut off as much styloid as possible. The advantage of an extraoral surgery is that the styloid can be cut back to the skull. Sometimes w/ intraoral surgeries, the surgeon just cuts the tip off which may or may not reduce the symptoms.

Please bear in mind that some symptoms are immediately relieved w/ surgery while others can take several months to begin to resolve. Also, once one side has been delt w/, the other side often seems to hurt more which can cause the surgeon & patient to deduce that the first surgery was unsuccessful & be unwilling to undertake a second surgery. This is fallacious thinking. If you have bilateral pain, it will take bilateral surgery to give full symptom relief.

Please keep us posted as to how things go for you.

@TickledPinkk

I was also given the choice which side to do first. Hang in there and try not to second guess yourself. Think of every step as one step forward.

Iā€™ll have a look at the list and add the docā€™s name in.
Glad that at least you have a date to ā€˜look forwardā€™ to!

Hadassa, Small World! I also had Dr. Krempl perform my surgeries. He did my left side ES surgery in 2011 and performed my bilateral Hyoid surgery on May 2nd (7 wks ago). Heā€™s got a great team including his practitioner, Jamie Edmensten, and a top notch speech pathologist, Tracey Grammar.

Glad youā€™re pleased with things, Jerry; what surgery did you have on your hyoid, were the hyoid processes shortened?

Shalom Jerryā€¦I think Dr. Kremplā€™s office said that he no longer did ES Surgery??? I had my surgery at Norman Regional Hospital and Dr.R. Layton Runkle was the surgeon who did my surgery. He was amazing.

Yes. Great horn on both sides were shortened thru a single 3" incision.

Hey i just came across this post. I am in CT how r u CT people doing?? I had no luck at yale i traveled to dr cognetti. But thinking of finding a Dr in CT close to hope for follow ups no that i am post op. Some symptoms arise sometimes so wondering about Dr chen. I had bad luck at yale- no help.