Possible VES - questions

Just a quick update and a few questions please.

Following a CT scan (without contrast) in early December 22, the radiologist and neurosurgeon confirmed Eagle Syndrome. I have marginally elongated styloids (3.0 and 3.1 cm). He felt my symptoms (headaches, pressure feeling, dizziness etc.) could all be attributed to a vascular issue but felt he should refer me to an otolaryngologist (Professor Patel in Southampton).

I met with Professor Patel (private otolaryngologist) in early January. He said he could very easily agree to a styloidectomy, however, he believed there was a high chance this would not resolve my issues. When asked why, he detailed the vascular/nerves that were located in the area he would need to operate around and openly admitted it was a high risk procedure that he would not entertain without a lot of further investgations. He explained it would be a ‘2-man job’ and that he would first discuss my case with a Skull Base Surgeon and report back to me which is where I am currently at on my journey.

Sadly, despite seeing many NHS GPs and consultants combined with the very long waiting lists for NHS care, I have funded my recent health care privately. If Professor Patel does decide to proceed with a left side styloidectomy, is there anyone else on this forum that has had the treatment done private that can give a guide as to the cost of the actual operation, any further treatment they may have required or any other information you think would be of help to me?

Many thanks for reading and for any help you can offer.

Nicky

1 Like