Preparing for the big day - Dr. Hackman

Awesome feedback. Thank you!!

2 Likes

So on wound I was told to wait until it sealed at surface (end week 1 for me). Then start bio oil or similar. Another member recommends using Cica silicone gel sheets. Start massaging scar once sealed and keep going.

My biggest issue was post op swelling. I have visited lymphatic drainage expert to help this.Icing helps too. Glad things are a bit better now. D

3 Likes

@JPB -

Iā€™m so relieved to hear your system is eliminating water normally today. WHEW!

Honestly, your incision looks AMAZING so soon after surgery! You will be amazed how it disappears as it heals. I wouldnā€™t start massaging it or using silicone strips until closer to a month after surgery. If you want to try Bio Oil, Vit E, or Coconut oi after the incision is sealed, you can. Just be really gentle applying it.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve found for every single cut Iā€™ve had in last few years Iā€™ve usedā€¦ coconut oil. Hard coconut oil from a jar. And then I apply dressing such as a bandaid over for the first few days which prevents/kills bacteria and does wonderful wound healing. Keeps skin supple too. Iā€™ve had cuts that healed so well by using this method that I could barely tell there was anything other than the odd pinch of pain months later (ie. from deep cut). I plan to do this when I have my surgery.

4 Likes

YRS! Coconut oil is known for its anti-bacterial properties plus itā€™s yummy to cook with!!

3 Likes

Great recommendations - I will add that to my list (coconut oil). The friend I mentioned in an earlier post that is receiving his surgery in the coming days (Friday) with Dr. Hackman asked for a few things I wish I would have considered prior:

1. Sleeping arrangements - I had the wedge, but it didnā€™t work so well on the 2nd night (1st night after hospital discharge). Eventually we found a recliner and used that for the last 3 nights. I am now starting to use a bed with 2 pillows (tonight).

2. Ice packs - I use the ice packs many therapy companies utilize (long, black or blue ice gel packs that are easier to wrap then normal ice in a bag). You can buy these online or at a local PT clinic. I prefer to have 2 so I can always have one frozen while another one is in use.

3. Water weight/constipation - I didnā€™t realize how quickly I started putting on weight in the hospital (1st night) and the day after. By the time I made it back to the ER (3rd night), I was 25 pounds up. This is rare, but it is good to continue to check for anything out of the ordinary post op.

4. Meds - I purposefully stopped all pain meds earlier to allow for an easier BM. The scans at the ER reflected that I had a large blockage - OTCs and prescription based laxatives worked thereafter. The pain has been difficult to manage due to this abrupt stop.

5. Lack of sleep - I am averaging 2-3 hours a night, mostly because I had no pain meds and couldnā€™t find the most comfortable position to sleep when I started accumulating water weight.

6. The staff are amazing and even if you canā€™t speak with Dr Hackman directly, his team is awesome!!

7. My neck - I am not sure if it is because of the length of the incision(s) on all sides, but I was not prepared for the length of the scars and lack of strength I exhibited with my neck and back. My back and side of my leg had bruises and walking has become a challenge. I am starting to ambulate more which will allow me to become more comfortable moving more often.

8. Sudden pain - I notice my pain radiates in my head and along the incision lines, often shooting/throbbing pains throughout the day/night.

I am still optimistic about my future and believe this was the best course of action to take based on my research, long term chronic pain and condition, and the expected results.

Thank you again for your support!!

7 Likes

Iā€™m curious if anyone starts a B-complex after this surgery since B Vitamins are important for nerve function, etc. Or even a multivitamin since the demands on the body resources are higher when healing.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing! Itā€™s very helpful for all the others waiting for their day in the OR.

3 Likes

I did, donā€™t know how much it helped, but felt it was worth a try!

4 Likes

So pleased youā€™ve got some treatment now & that the fluid build up is getting easierā€¦I know you need your sleep, but if you can sleep propped up more than just two pillows it will help the swelling. The incision looks amazing already!

3 Likes

@JPB - my doctor recommended 30Ā° of head elevation post op. I had to sleep that elevated for nearly 6 weeks or my throat felt like it was swelling closed. I layered bed pillows on top of my wedge pillow to increase elevation & because the wedge by itself was too firm. I do agree it was not comfy sleeping at such an angle & I never slept great during that time but it did help reduce post op swelling a lot.

As far as pain meds go, since you have the constipation trouble under control, try adding in a pain pill at night to help you sleep but keep taking the laxative & stool softener daily to keep the back up from reoccurring. If that doesnā€™t work, you can take Extra Strength Tylenol which should at least help to take the edge off your pain.

The sudden shooting/throbbing pains are your nerves waking up. You will likely experience those sensations in various areas over the course of your healing but the intensity will decrease as time passes & eventually those sensations will stop.

Itā€™s great that youā€™re doing better than you were a cpl days ago. :blush:

2 Likes

Okay, you definitely convinced me to continue to use my wedge and give it longer to work (or for me to figure out how to use it best). Thank you!!

My days are consumed with positive affirmations, then trying to avoid becoming discouraged with the pain and discomfort post op, especially along the surgical incisions and my back (feels like it is going out - like I will collapse and not be able to walk sensation).

Did I read correctly that the glue dries by day 7 and I can begin cleaning up a bit?

3 Likes

@JPB - You might want to check in w/ @Ddmarie as sheā€™s managing her pain w/ Extra Strength Tylenol & Ibuprofen. I know these can be alternated so you can take them more often than if you were just taking one type. She may be able to help guide you in how often to take these.

Positive affirmations are good! The issue with your back is puzzling though. I have back problems, too, but my ES surgeries didnā€™t cause them to flare up. Maybe yours are because youā€™re being more sedentary than usual? If there are gentle stretches you know you can do to help, you could try those, & also ice works great for back issues. You could try ice or heat on the area that feels weak.

The glue on the incisions dries almost immediately after application but can take some time to start coming off. I would suggest you leave it alone for awhile i.e. at least a couple of weeks post op.

1 Like

Hi there! As @Isaiah_40_31 mentioned I have been managing my pain with extra strength Tylenol and ibuprofen. I am at the point were I donā€™t set any alarms at night to take it but it sounds like you may want to (your a week behind me post op I believe?) I did this to stay ahead of the pain. Always take the ibuprofen with food and plenty of water. This helps eliminates any stomach discomfort. I find the gel tab ibuprofen to work the best. I just bought a generic kind from store 200 mg I weigh 120 and was taking 2 to 3 of them at a time. Just to give an idea. Every 4 to 6 hours alternating with the Tylenol 500 mg.
After much pressing and follow up, I DID finally get a dose pack of steroids after about a week post op. I finished those on Thursdays this past week. Definitely think that has helped me. Personally, I just think that these should be prescribed /given as an automatic after this kind of procedure, especially if the drains are removed 24 hours after surgery. If they had left the drains in longer than maybe the steroids wouldā€™ve been less needed. Again just my thoughts and how I have handled things.
Definitely keep icing. I was told 15 minutes on/ 45 minutes off. Did PACU give you a bilateral ice pack when you were in recovery? That thing was a dream for me. Wrapped around my head and was refillable with iced. It covered all area that had inflammation which was ears and neck for where the incisions are with how he does his surgery.
Elevation is huge I find, if I donā€™t then Iā€™m in trouble with more swelling. So Iā€™m glad you are back with the wedge. Sleeping on itā€™s definitely not a dream (lol) but it sure beats the excessive swelling, for me.
For me, my lower back (tailbone) was getting very sore. I found it was because of being in one position too long. So try to shift and if possible ambulate and walk every few hours It you can to take some of the pressure off of it.
Regarding the glue, I felt like I was a kids craft project that was left unattended lol ! They definitely put alot of glue on which is great but it has definitely made my neck feel even more stiff. Again my surgery was on the 28th of October. My discharge instructions were that I could shower, no problem, 48 hours after. The glue is slowly starting to dissipate, and I donā€™t plan on doing anything to force the matter and will ask the dr about more at my post op appointment on the 16th. I shower normally and do not cover I just donā€™t sit and soak in the shower blasting it for longer than a few minutes enough to wash my hair. The one issue Iā€™m having now that I didnā€™t have pre op is water goes into my ear canal easily. Iā€™m thinking that might be because of the current glue situation, not sure. But itā€™s something i have to be mindful of and careful with.
Hopefully this info was helpful. I wish you the very best for an upward recovery! Hereā€™s to great days ahead for all of us here!!!

Edited to indicate Tylenol strength

3 Likes