Progression of symptoms

I at last have a confirmation that the consultant I am seeing in July does have some experience of ES, how much I don’t yet know.

I am interested to know about progression of symptoms, is this something that happens slowing over time or quite quickly?
Within a 2 month period I seem to have gone from occasional earache to now constant, intense pain & am extremely sensitive to certain noises. The noise of a hand dryer in the ladies can genuinely reduce me to tears!
An increase in dizzy spells & I’ve noticed that seems to be triggered by moving my head to the right. The face pain, weird sensations of feeling my face is being stretched etc & speech being affected seems to continue to come & go. Any idea what causes it to fluctuate like that?

Thank you for taking the time to read

Michelle :slight_smile:

Michelle - My son's symptoms have progressed over the past 4 years. He did start with mild periodic ear pain, then progressed to constant ear pain, then throat pain, then constant pain in both and sharp spikes in pain. He also now has trouble with pain after eating which is hard to watch. He is also sensitive to loud noises and we got him special musician ear plugs so he can still go to the movies or to a sports game. I believe that 2 things are happening that cause the symptoms to progress over time: 1. The calcification of the styloid continues to elongate over time and 2. The styloid actually is aggravating the nerves that run near it which send off those pain signals in the face, neck and jaw area. As the body is constantly in motion, the moments that the nerves are touching the bone, signals are fired off and the symptoms worsen. For my son, pain is constant now. It is unbearable and as the spikes in pain intensify, it renders him speechless. Removal of that bone (the styloid process) eliminates the aggregation of the nerve so signals should stop. Hope that helps.

Hi EarMom,

I’m sorry to read about the pain your son is in, that must be very hard for you too.
Is your son due to have surgery? 4 years is a long time for a child to be in pain :frowning: At this stage I know very little about mine except for the length of the styloid process on each side, hopefully I will find out more once I see a consultant in July. I am quite surprised & slightly concerned at how relatively quickly my symptoms seem to be increasing.
I am definitely going to try to source some special musician earplugs, that’s a great tip, thank you

Ear Mom said:

Michelle - My son's symptoms have progressed over the past 4 years. He did start with mild periodic ear pain, then progressed to constant ear pain, then throat pain, then constant pain in both and sharp spikes in pain. He also now has trouble with pain after eating which is hard to watch. He is also sensitive to loud noises and we got him special musician ear plugs so he can still go to the movies or to a sports game. I believe that 2 things are happening that cause the symptoms to progress over time: 1. The calcification of the styloid continues to elongate over time and 2. The styloid actually is aggravating the nerves that run near it which send off those pain signals in the face, neck and jaw area. As the body is constantly in motion, the moments that the nerves are touching the bone, signals are fired off and the symptoms worsen. For my son, pain is constant now. It is unbearable and as the spikes in pain intensify, it renders him speechless. Removal of that bone (the styloid process) eliminates the aggregation of the nerve so signals should stop. Hope that helps.