Surgery March 12th

Hoping your surgery went well, was thinking about you today ! Let us know you you are doing when you can…

My surgery seemed to go well I am very swollen and sore but the pressure in my left ear seems to be gone as I the chicken bone in my throat. My left sinus also seems amazingly clear. The odd thing was the surgery before mine was to be for Eagles as well and the person cancelled?! Hope she gets the help she needs. I cannot wait to have the other side done now! I also feel some energy returning to my body!

1 Like

Wow Lifelongeagle, that is great news!

That's great, Lifelongeagle -- thanks for updating us!

Hey Lifelongeagle. How did the surgery go and how are you feeling so far?

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all your well wishes! I am now 6 days post op and the pain has begun increasing to the point that toothpaste burns my mouth. Does this sound normal? Should I be worried about infection? I woke up at 2:30 this morning in such pain that I could not get back to sleep. My ears and sinuses still feel better but mouth and throat hurt more I do not have a fever though.

that's about the same time I started feeling that pain around day 6 or say 7 - however after the very first time it came to me I then only felt it whenever my taste buds were activated. whenever I eat or drank for the first time of the day or even during the day as long as there is about a couple hours or so in between meals. I will feel that burning stinging sensation in the mouth. 5 weeks later ( this week) i still feel it however no where near as strong. Are you feeling a stinging burning sensation over come your mouth and tongue when ever you taste anything ( including toothpaste) ? if thats what your going throught that pain will subside as it has in mine.. some users on this site say it may take a few months for it to go away completely

let me know

mt

Can you tell us, did you have internal or external surgery, and did they shave the bone or remove it? I'm hoping to hear back from my Dr. Tomorrow.. Really hope you feel better. It's funny when this all started for me, I had horrible burning sensations and nasty metallic tastes in my mouth.. I stopped using crest pro health which was a new toothpaste I thought was causing it, and allot of that went away

It is a burning/stinging sensation but I am not sure it is activated by taste as I woke at night it involves the left side of my tongue and tonsil area are the main areas involved. My sense of taste has been reactivated which is incredible if I could eat. When I woke this morning about 2 hours later my salivary glands started going like crazy I couldn’t swallow fast enough. It was an internal surgery the tonsil was not removed and they removed the bone.

Metria how long ago did you have surgery and are you still having those pains

Metria said:

Can you tell us, did you have internal or external surgery, and did they shave the bone or remove it? I'm hoping to hear back from my Dr. Tomorrow.. Really hope you feel better. It's funny when this all started for me, I had horrible burning sensations and nasty metallic tastes in my mouth.. I stopped using crest pro health which was a new toothpaste I thought was causing it, and allot of that went away

Internal surgery recoveries are more painful than external recoveries. I think it will just take a couple months. I don't think you have to worry about an infection so much if you don't have a fever. I think your pains are fairly normal for an internal surgery.

I don’t know what I would do if I had not found all of you! I feel so blessed to have found such support. Had it not been for the power of the group strength and a place to go with people who understand I would probably have given up again as I did years ago when the symptoms first started to become a problem instead of advocating for myself. Your experiences have been invaluable. Even though I can’t sleep with the pain right now it is a small price to pay for the rest of my life. My husband has already noticed a difference in me because of the blocked ears that was worse on my left side I could not filter conversations well, if there was any other noise in the room. I constantly needed to have things repeated and that is now gone. I did not even realize I had stopped saying “what” after every sentence. Problems I always attributed to my sinuses are now gone and it is a miracle to taste things. I know this is long winded but I just want everyone to know how powerful your experiences are and I pray that I can pass on my experiences and give someone else the courage to self advocate.

heidemt said:

Internal surgery recoveries are more painful than external recoveries. I think it will just take a couple months. I don’t think you have to worry about an infection so much if you don’t have a fever. I think your pains are fairly normal for an internal surgery.

1 Like

so just to be clear you are not getting taste buds of fire when you eat right? ( i had external surgery)

Not exactly taste buds but since I read yours and Metrias post I have been trying to pay attention to when the pain is at its worst and it does seem to intensify with food or drink especially hot or cold that gives me screaming pain but the first week hot or cold seemed to feel good.

mt83 said:

so just to be clear you are not getting taste buds of fire when you eat right? ( i had external surgery)

Yay!! Happy to hear you are noticing changes already!!

I feel the same way about the support of the amazing people this site :)

Hoping & praying for even more improvement and that your pain goes away quickly :)

Take care,

Sheila

What is it that causes the weakness? I can’t get ppl to understand that I can’t cope with even sitting upright for longer than 5 mins

I hope you’re doing better! 1-2 weeks out is a scary time where it’s hard to tell which end is up. Keep pushing, keep moving, if nothing else this will rule out one thing and send you on to the next idea for treatment.

eagle_rose,
So glad to read so good results in little space time, who did your surgery??

Hi Rosanaturrero
I had my external surgery done at Rigshospitalet in Denmark by a head and neck surgeon. I am still dooing great considering how sick I were from ES before surgery. But I have some permanent nerve damages from the years I had to wait for surgery, and I still have my right stylouid as the surgeon think that the surgery is too risky. So I have given up on getting the right one removed.

Best
Eagle_rose

Maybe you only need one side done. Sending you lots of positive vibes :heart: