Surgery scheduled 22 Aug

I think it’s the scm muscle but I get dizzy as I feel those bones are poking in that area. Bring in Thursday. Starts behind my ear. And longus colli muscle aches which makes me think it’s my throat but it is actually that muscle.

Isaiah helped me with this but I wanted to share if anyone else has this as a symptom.

Thank you for your kind words and support!

Brooklyn Girl I am so glad to know that you are feeling better. now. There will possibly be some set backs in the next few months, though, so do not panic, easier said than done. I had the mouth issue along with eyelid paralysis. Eye was wide open, I had to tape it shut. I was terrified even though the doctor said it would get better. The eyelid got better about week 5 , the mouth took almost 2 months. The biting of cheek is because the lower lip is still not healed. I was sent to therapy and the therapist said it is the longest nerve run from the site of the operation, but it comes. It seems to just get there naturally, but biting the cheek and lip are tough. I got some of those cotton rolls from my dentist and put them in my cheek and lower lip to eat. Gross, I know, but then I could chew without biting my lip and could toss it after eating. Anything that helps with the pain and inconvenience was okay with me.
SusieQ. That SCM muscle is a tough one. I am almost a year from the surgery on the left and because of my bad bite that muscle is always tight. The right side is dominant and it is healing and taking over the dominance now, so I have to massage the left a lot more. Since I have a bad( very badly misaligned jaw), that may be an issue for me in the future, but I still have a long way to go for both sides to be completely healed. I get headaches from that SCM muscle being tight, but I work on it. I think you will find for yourself that you will find it relax in a few weeks. The one on the right side felt like it just melted down and it was such a relief. Those are the muscles that are still not understood to be part of EAgles. I believe that is why I took so long going for surgery. I did not know that my neck and shoulder blade pain were largely due to Eagles. I have been in therapy for years and it is only now showing positive more permanent results. I will probably be in therapy for awhile since those muscles have been cramped for years.

1 Like

Thank thank thank you. Isaiah, you are a guardian angel. I believe whole heartedly the SCM and longus colli and the levator are all connected with this syndrome. I call the levator Darth Vader as he is a tough one too. It’s like you wear your shoulder as earrings. The information you provide is so helpful.
I am drinking apple cider vinegar with a little honey to help blood flow… man is that an acquired taste…no one has ever said.
Also one question for you to the group that has had surgery. I am worried when I come out of anesthesia I will vomit and mess up the whole neck. I had an ovary out in November and I refunded for a good 15 minutes…when I woke up then I was fine.
I’m worried about that…plus 90000000 other things but that’s a big one today.
Thank you for being such blessings to so many scared and hurting people. I really appreciate the time you all give to help others.

Hi there,

I threw up after coming out of anesthesia with a colonoscopy 10 years ago so as a precaution I got a nausea patch behind my ear for both surgeries. Took it off a day later at home and had no problems.

If you’re prone to that after anesthesia I would mention it to the anesthetist pre-op (in the UK you have a chat with them pre-op, don’t know if that happens in the US?) so that you can have an anti-emetic ready. The idea of vomiting after that surgery would make me worried too!

Thank you both!

Hi SusieQ!

Sorry for the late response. Just got home from vacation.

I agree w/ what Jules & SewMomma said. Your anesthesiologist will most likely call you the day before surgery, & if not, will consult w/ you before surgery on your surgical day. It is important for you to let him/her know that you’re prone to vomiting from anesthesia. You will be given extra anti-emetic in your IV during surgery & via IV post op until you feel ok. I felt fine immediately upon waking up but w/in a few min. felt nauseous after my first surgery. My nurse happened to check on me soon after I started feeling sick & was quick to inject something into my IV that stopped it in its tracks. Others on this forum have been given anti-emetic patches to wear home & keep on for 24 hrs. as in SewMomma’s case.

Trust me when I tell you, the surgeons & surgical staff want you to have the best, most complication-free experience possible. Their goal is healing for you.

:hugs:

P.S. I drink apple cider vinegar - 1/4 c. added to about 30 oz of water. I add some ginger powder or fresh grated ginger & squirt of liquid stevia. It’s one of the most hydrating drinks I’ve found & helps me recover after a long hike or walk. It is, as you pointed out, an acquired taste.

Bragg’s company makes a variety of apple cider vinegar drinks in small bottles that I think are delicious. I’m having a hard time finding them locally now as the store where I used to purchase them stopped carrying them. Bad choice on their part as the drinks sold fast enough, they were barely able to keep them in stock.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Braggs+apple+cider+vinegar+drinks&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=NQY4sLWvE_Kq6M%3A%2C77KRpr8NXHKcaM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTW3upIRvBOX5yBpNFlwwoYJxhKlw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwihvKKq443kAhVMu54KHbT_ALQQ_h0wAXoECAQQCA#imgrc=NQY4sLWvE_Kq6M:

They say only 4% of the population has this and out of that 4% only .16 % have symptoms. My surgery is this Thursday. My neurosurgeon has done 6 of these so far. There will also be a neck surgeon in there also. They are doing both sides at the same time. They are going in through the back of the neck. Will keep you all posted.

Ilovemaui2000 ~

You’re definitely the first person I’ve read about on this forum to have a styloidectomy from behind. All others have external surgery on the front/sides of the neck. I will be very interested to know how your surgery turns out. I’m glad you have two very experienced doctors as your champions. That bodes well for a great outcome.

:hugs:

1 Like

Thanks Maui. We are both set for Thursday on our way back to the most EXCELLENT lives. I look forward to hearing from you. I have to be at St Joe’s at 7 am for a 9 am surgery. Hope to be home by 3 or 4 pm with the wedge set up and ice packs.
Sending love to all the August surgeries!! You are all in my prayers.
Susie Q

1 Like

Wishing both of you successful surgeries and peace as you head to surgery tomorrow!
Kay

1 Like

Thank you Kay. You are all in my prayers too. I’ll post as soon as I’m able! Bring on the healing!!

1 Like

The doctor was supposed to take 2 cm but said the visibility was so good and bone pliable he took 3 cm. I’m home resting and had chick filet frozen lemonade. Delicious and mac and cheese!! Felt great on throat as they did a biopsy inside throat near trachea. I’m on good drugs now. My post OP is next week and then tentatively a second surgery set for Oct 23rd. Thank you for all the prayers. I feel so lucky they found this as it has been so debilitating. Thank thank you for all the prayers. Believe it or not could be the drugs but my left face feels lighter. That sounds weird I know. Surgery was at 930. Zofran did the trick. No vomit!! Praiss God. DR milligan and the anesthesiologist prayed over me before surgery. And additionally before the surgery they had a prayer over loud speaker. I definitely felt in Gods hands!!! I’ll post tomorrow just need to crash but wanted everyone to know i am grateful so grateful for all the advice and love from all of you. For those of you who have been through the surgery to dedicate your personal time to help others demonstrates your character. It helped me so much.

1 Like

SusieQ ~

Thank you for letting us know how your surgery went! Your incision looks wonderful! I’m so glad this is behind you now! Also glad you’re able to take the meds that were Rxed for you. Some people can’t tolerate them. They do make such a difference though. Keep those ice packs handy & use them periodically throughout the day!

It’s good to hear he took extra styloid rather than less. That should make a big difference for you.

Now we pray for your steady recovery & prep for the next round. :heart:

What a wonderful surgical experience! 1st and 10, do it again! (In 2 months) :rofl::rofl:

PS - Chick Fil A chicken noodle soup was my JAM after my surgeries. I think I got it 10 times :wink:. I should have had lemonade with it! :rage: