Surgery September 26

Alphastim & Nucalm will show up on Google search.

Photobiomodulation is trickier as so Many providers. For home use medics told me Helios & Joovv are reliable brands to use. If visiting a PMB practitioner I have used Thor (Hq in UK) but most Thor practitioners are in US & Canada. Novothor whole body machine for 20 mins is very good at helping nerve pain I find but needs frequency to work. Will be Thor competitors to consider but trained/skilled practitioner & right frequencies/timings matter.

Good luck. D

1 Like

Hope your recovery coming along well. Happy healing…

2 Likes

Wow that is alot of endoscopies JPB! Im preparing to go in today for one including BRAVO testing, etc. I went thru this 4 years ago prior to considering hiatal hernia and GE junction repair. I was diagnosed with Pre-Barretts at the time which rarely advances but I have found a study to monitor it and they have suggested I do the repair. Unfortunately Eagles diagnosis came and took front seat.

My sister in law had the dilation a few times after being treated for throat cancer and I hear it is not fun. In her case she was happy to be able to eat again after being on a feeding bag for almost a year.

Listening to you and mama bear makes me wonder about new symptoms in my throat I was semi considering was leftover from Eagles surgery. Ive always had residual numbness in neck from surgery but it seemed to pass for the most part. Lately I have had the feeling of someone choking me and numbness at the top of my throat. I figured just nerve damage from surgery. Im now wondering about if this is GERD related?

Hang in there mama bear…dont let those small town docs get you down!

2 Likes

Thank you!!! I had the BRAVO testing done too (8 months ago) but it was inconclusive. My recent endoscopy only showed signs of ulcers/scarring but that is about it. Referred back to GI meds (lovely - they cause all sorts of headaches I have determined) and scheduled for ES surgery (bilateral). I have to admit I am a little hesitant on the ES surgery since my throat has improved slighted after I had the injections in the throat at Northwestern and I don’t want any of the horrible side effects many of those on the forum discuss from their ES surgery.

As always, I appreciate this ongoing dialogue and the ideas we can share.

JPB

@JPB - the injections are usually helpful for only a short time & our members who’ve gotten relief from injections have ended up having ES surgery eventually anyway. If you continue to feel relief as your surgery date approaches, there’s nothing wrong w/ postponing your surgery.

It has been said many times on here that all surgeries have risks. We have found that the majority of our members who have ES surgery get benefits that make the surgery & post op healing period worth it. Elective surgery & the timing for it are always a personal choice.

1 Like

Thank you!! That is excellent feedback and I appreciate our thoughts on this.

2 Likes

I agree with Isaiah…injections only provide short term relief “generally” and don’t always get to the core reason behind the symptoms. As she suggested, delaying surgery until you feel confident its the right path doesn’t hurt. I was in so much pain, it couldn’t come fast enough. Often it can takes months to get on a surgery schedule so keep that in mind. You could get on the schedule to reserve a spot as back up, then reschedule if you are not ready to take the plunge. Better to be mentally prepared and ready. I found the ES surgery (external) one of the easier surgery recoveries I have had in my life (had over 15+). I strongly feel the post op prednisone to make all the difference.

Im recovering from my endoscopy and bravo I had last week. They also did some biopsies at the open GE junction and I have felt like I had an open sore in my stomach and it has not been comfortable. They really ripped me up this time. Never had such raw throat from endoscopy. My bravo wasn’t inconclusive in 2018 and doubt it will be this time. Im certain where this is going to lead and not looking forward to the required surgery. On the good side, I will lose some weight which I need to do. I always try to find a silver lining.

3 Likes

Hope you recover soon Snapple, such a rough ride for you :hugs:

Thanks Jules. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
The joys of aging. I try to keep a stiff upper lip but there are times when I just feel like my body is falling apart. I strongly believe alot of my issues are a result or stem from the Ehlers Danlos - hypermobility.

1 Like

@Snapple2020 - I hope you’re feeling a bit better each day. I’m sorry the procedures have been so invasive. Please keep me/us posted if you get a solid diagnosis or diagnoses. You’ve done a lot of research & so much traveling trying to find the medical support you need that it’s time for someone to deliver for you!!

2 Likes

Thanks Isaiah.
My stomach and throat is finally feeling better. Also I think the PH capsule attached in my throat has detached so eating food is more comfortable. As suspected I had an abnormal ph study result and biopsy inline somewhat with 2018 however hadn’t had consult with doc to review. I expect Ill being going in for a repair of hiatal hernia and GE junction to prevent acid reflux. Argh…not really a surgery I want but need. Ill likely put it on the back burner until I figure out my neck, arm and/or NTOS & VTOS. I have diagnostic block set up for C5-C6 to see if this is possible source of problems. Ive lined up all my consults and likely wont know much until November/Dec…as with anything it is a process of elimination. Maybe by the 1st of the year, I’ll have a better handle on all this. As you know, it is a process.

3 Likes