Symptoms are back with a vengeance

No Jules, I haven’t been, but thank you for the suggestion. The symptoms also do fit - the tinnitus in what seems to be the affected ear, I have had for over 40 years. It is somewhat worse at present and the thumping is new. That is improving gradually. The balance is getting better, but I am not able to walk outside without my hiking stick.

If this carries on for longer, I agree it’s worth checking for labyrynthitis.

2 Likes

Yes, Isaiah, I’m going to follow up on Jules’ suggestion. I’ll give it a bit of time, as I think there is some improvement each day.

I would hate to have a rerun of ES. I get tired just thinking of going down that road!

1 Like

Thank you Isaiah and Jules for your concern. I’m still in much the same state, but energy level has recovered. What is new is a bit of earache is now cropping up in that ear.
To recap, my previous symptoms followed this sequence: Firstly, neck pain and knotty back muscles, for which I needed to visit my chiropractor. Then quite severe fake earache, in the left ear, for which I needed voltaren shots. Finally fake toothache on the left side. Meantime, dizziness on turning my head to the right side. Taking that into account now, I’ve sent a WhatsApp to my husband’s new dentist to find out the cost of a panorex x-ray, explaining the situation. Hope he won’t mind, I haven’t needed dental work for a while.

1 Like

@Cyrba -
Your earache & toothache could be caused by your trigeminal nerve which is often irritated by elongated styloids but can also be irritated by TMJ & other things. The dizziness when turning your head to the right is is concerning & could be a sign of vascular compression. It really would be worthwhile getting the panorex or even better, a dynamic CT scan w/ contrast especially w/ your head turned to the right since that causes your dizziness to worsen. The scan should look at your internal jugular veins & internal carotid arteries relative to your styloid processes & your C-1 vertebra. That may sound extreme to you at the moment, so just note it for future reference in case your symptoms continue or get worse.

2 Likes

Isaiah_40_31

9d

@Cyrba -
The earache & toothache were prior to the previous episode of Eagle’s Syndrome, after which the styloid processes were removed extraorally. Those particular symptoms were on the left side, and the slight dizziness etc. was on the right. All of the symptoms, including my chronic neck pain, and knotty back muscles were gone after the surgery. My Dr. has sent a whatsapp about maybe going to an ENT, so I have said I have already spoken to very good dentist in the next town, who is happy to do a panorex to exclude the possibility of the styloid processes having re-grown. I don’t feel too bad, but do need to use my Mum’s old walking stick when walking outdoors.

1 Like

Hey there,

I just went through an episode with irritated nerves and finally figured out that I had an ear infection… I’m taking ibuprofen and gabapentin, and I believe I was masking the symptoms until I was so exhausted that I then suspected an ear infection.

FYI
Leah

2 Likes

I hope the panorex image either clearly shows your styloids have grown or that they haven’t so you have a good idea about how to move forward w/ treatement, @Cyrba. Please let us know what you find out.

1 Like

Good luck with your panoramic x ray :hugs:

1 Like

Thank you, Jules

1 Like