Which scan is the best to get?

I’m looking to get another scan/test done to measure styloids and to see if any calsification is occurring. My last scan was in 2011, I had a panoramic scan done that’s how I was diagnosed. I’m not sure about the type or impingement of nerves.
I also seen my doctors today which he started me on gabble tin 200mg. Has anyone used this medication? What do you think of it?

Hiya Kcannady!
Most people seem to get a CT scan with contrast, and/or a 3D CT scan with contrast. This allows medical professionals to visualize the bones, muscles, and vasculature in the neck. From what I've learned here, people are diagnosed with ES in a large variety of ways. CT still seems to be the go to for best visualization and it cited in most of the medical articles on ES.

I'm going to assume you mean Gabapentin, a pill for nerve pain?
I've been on it previously with no luck. I had Terrible side effects, and the water retention made my nerve issues worse. My pain doc took me off of it to try some other similar medications, but also mentioned that this kind of medication doesn't always work when the issue is mechanical (ie- continual damage, compression, or irritation of the nerve) rather than trying to alleviate the issues form a previous nerve injury.
He also said that Gabapentin is a god send to a lot of people and can give someone their lives back. The trick is finding the right dosage.
It's certainly worth a try and can make a huge difference.
From my experience, be ready for full body swelling due to the water retention. I had days I couldn't put my feet into my shoes, and thigh to ankle was a solid bock of flesh with no hint of where one part began and the other ended. The pills would also make me very loopy within the first hour of taking them, or very loopy if I missed my dose. The flattened affect also hit me hard.
HOWEVER... These are Very minor things to trade for not being in pain any longer. Personally, I would strut my confused, ambivalent, thighcankles with pride if it helped me. It takes a few weeks for the concentration of the medication in your system to reach therapeutic values. If you start to experience side effects on the Gabapentin, try to push through and see if it can help you.
Within reason, of course...

Yes I meant gabapentin I’m not sure why autocorrect changed that. I’m on my sons iPad that I normally don’t type on. I couldn’t imagine having the side affects :frowning: Anyway, the reason I was asking about the scan was because my neurologogist think I need n mri. I told him it was a ct so he wants me to double to figure which scan I need. I’ve never been told the type I have. When i first was diagnosed back in 2011 there wasn’t much. Since then, this group has gotten bigger and so much knowledgable. My concerns are if there’s more to mine other than my styloids being elongated as I’m not sure if anyone has looked into it yet. So with that being said I need to definitely make sure I get the right scan done for the right reasons.

SnappleofDiscord said:

Hiya Kcannady!
Most people seem to get a CT scan with contrast, and/or a 3D CT scan with contrast. This allows medical professionals to visualize the bones, muscles, and vasculature in the neck. From what I’ve learned here, people are diagnosed with ES in a large variety of ways. CT still seems to be the go to for best visualization and it cited in most of the medical articles on ES.

I’m going to assume you mean Gabapentin, a pill for nerve pain?
I’ve been on it previously with no luck. I had Terrible side effects, and the water retention made my nerve issues worse. My pain doc took me off of it to try some other similar medications, but also mentioned that this kind of medication doesn’t always work when the issue is mechanical (ie- continual damage, compression, or irritation of the nerve) rather than trying to alleviate the issues form a previous nerve injury.
He also said that Gabapentin is a god send to a lot of people and can give someone their lives back. The trick is finding the right dosage.
It’s certainly worth a try and can make a huge difference.
From my experience, be ready for full body swelling due to the water retention. I had days I couldn’t put my feet into my shoes, and thigh to ankle was a solid bock of flesh with no hint of where one part began and the other ended. The pills would also make me very loopy within the first hour of taking them, or very loopy if I missed my dose. The flattened affect also hit me hard.
HOWEVER… These are Very minor things to trade for not being in pain any longer. Personally, I would strut my confused, ambivalent, thighcankles with pride if it helped me. It takes a few weeks for the concentration of the medication in your system to reach therapeutic values. If you start to experience side effects on the Gabapentin, try to push through and see if it can help you.
Within reason, of course…

Haha, I totally get the auto correct issue. I have a lot of problems with elongated style hides and a calcification of the hi boys bone.

I would definitely push for a CT with contrast if you have the option. I've had a number of MRIs of my neck, shoulder, brachial plexus, etc. All of them capturing at least part of where the ligament calcified in my neck. Only in retrospective have I noticed the spikes, and not on all of them. Sometimes the calcification shows up, sometimes it doesn't, but None of the times have any of the radiologists reading them been looking for calcification. I'm not even sure there's an MRI protocol for ES.
Reading up on ES, I've also Mostly seen xray diagnoses or CT, but MRI doesn't come up much.

Worrying there is more to your issues is a very legitimate concern too. One that you shouldn't write off. I hope you're able to investigate many options, and form a plan B in case this diagnoses doesn't turn out to be the culprit.

And trust me, Thighcankles is an ice cream sundae compared to surgical recovery ;)

As Snapple said, CT with contrast is best- it shows any compression of blood vessels as well as the calcification well. I had an MRI as well, but I think it was more to rule out anything else- it was useful as it showed a bulging disc in my neck too; the radiologists report following that did say it was consistent with ES though so presumably they can see something, but CT with contrast is the best!

The gabapentin can work well for some people, it can take a couple of weeks to take effect, so is worth persevering with if you don't get the side effects. There are quite a few other medications to try if it doesn't work though, there's info on the medications in the ES Info section at the top of the site page. Hope that it helps you!

I have been on Gabapentin for a few days of 100mg about to increase my dose to 200mg. The only thing Ive run into with this is that my 2 year old hasnt been sleeping well and I was so off centered that I kept running into the door frames etc. I was worrying at first then remembered the medicine can that! lol. So weird. I havent noticed any swelling but I feel like my stomach has bloated alot! Its weird. not sure if the bloating is connected with the med or not. Guess we will see.

SnappleofDiscord said:

Haha, I totally get the auto correct issue. I have a lot of problems with elongated style hides and a calcification of the hi boys bone.

I would definitely push for a CT with contrast if you have the option. I've had a number of MRIs of my neck, shoulder, brachial plexus, etc. All of them capturing at least part of where the ligament calcified in my neck. Only in retrospective have I noticed the spikes, and not on all of them. Sometimes the calcification shows up, sometimes it doesn't, but None of the times have any of the radiologists reading them been looking for calcification. I'm not even sure there's an MRI protocol for ES.
Reading up on ES, I've also Mostly seen xray diagnoses or CT, but MRI doesn't come up much.

Worrying there is more to your issues is a very legitimate concern too. One that you shouldn't write off. I hope you're able to investigate many options, and form a plan B in case this diagnoses doesn't turn out to be the culprit.

And trust me, Thighcankles is an ice cream sundae compared to surgical recovery ;)