Worried about my mom

Hello. My mom was just diagnosed finally after many many testings. I know she has been in pain. I always see her holding her neck in discomfort. I am so worried something is going to happen to her. Can anyone please give me some recomendations for specaliats that do this surgery in Florida. Weve been having trouble finding anyone who even knows whag eagle syndrome is. Another question, if my mom doesnt get this done could she die? Please please help me :pensive: thank you.
Anna

1 Like

There is a list of doctors in the newbies section I believe, but I live in Orlando and used Dr. Jeffrey Scott Magnuson. He works out of Florida Hospital Celebration. :pray:

2 Likes

Also, I asked my doctor about the possibility of death and he said it’s more likely that you’ll win the lottery than die from Eagles Syndrome. She’ll be fine and most likely feel so much better after surgery. Wishing you well!

2 Likes

Thank you so much!!! I am going to have my mom call them on Monday. I’m so relieved to hear that. I was so worried about strokes or it hitting her arteries. Was yours internal or external? How long do you stay in hospital usually. How are you feeling now? Thank you for responding

1 Like

I had an internal robotic surgery on my left side in January. My styloid was compressing my internal carotid artery and the ligament was calcified. I still have an elongated styloid on the right side that was touching my jugular vein as of my August 2017 CT scan, but I’m opting to leave it because it is not causing me major symptoms right now. I was in the hospital overnight and in bed for about a week. Everybody has a different experience though. Some people feel fine within a couple of days. I’m definitely glad I had the surgery. Most of my symptoms were gone immediately, especially the neck pain. I still have tinnitus, but it is better. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Annadee- the latest doctors list is in the Doctors Info section, here’s a link : Latest Doctors List 2017
There are several doctors in Florida as well as the doctor pinkeagle had surgery with.
There are extremely rare cases of ES causing strokes by compressing an artery, but this is very, very rare, so I know it’s hard not to worry, but try not to. It’s great that you’re helping your mum- there’s info in the Newbies Guide about symptoms & what might cause them, & also about vascular ES (when the styloids can irritate or compress blood vessels). Hopefully if you can get more information, it’ll put your mind at rest. Best wishes to your mum!

1 Like

Pinkeagle do you mind telling me where you got your robotic surgery?

1 Like

Hi! I had mine done at Florida Hospital Celebration in Celebration, Florida. I hope that helps.

1 Like

Annadee,

How is your mom doing since her surgery? I’m hoping she’s feeling much better.

:blush:

1 Like

Does your doctor have lots of experience in ES surgery?
I mean you had a good one, so he must be.

1 Like

Hi! How are you feeling now? And are you happy you chose the robotic approach? I’m looking to get it done that way as well, and unfortunately not a lot of people have had it this way, but I keep hearing really good things!

1 Like

Hi! I feel great now! I don’t have any symptoms that I can think of related to the surgery. I have to be honest as I mentioned in another post…my recovery was a bit more rough that I had expected. With that being said, it was worth it. I no longer have the severe pain from the styloid. For some reason…maybe because of the pain following surgery and me not wanting to open my mouth… I formed scar tissue and could not open my mouth wider than a finger for a couple of months. I had to do some therapy techniques and am now fine, but it wasn’t fun. Best wishes!

2 Likes

Thank you! Who was your surgeon? And did the ligament get removed too?

Hi! I had Dr. Magnusen out of Celebration Hospital, Orlando, Florida. He did remove the ligament.

Ok great! Thank you! I’m meeting with Dr. Trevor Hackman in NC on 12/26. I’m hoping this works out for me :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I live in Orlando and have surgery in May down in West Palm at the Cleveland Clinic. Would you recommend Dr. Magnuson? If I can see a doctor closer that would be great!

Hi Katflorida!

Welcome to our amazing forum. Pinkeagle is one of our members who had Dr. Magnuson do her ES surgery. Here’s a link to some of her posts. You can send her a private email by clicking on her name as it appears above one of her posts. That will put you to a page where you can send a private message & discuss the details of her surgery & outcome more specifically.

I noted your Isaiah 40:31 reference. I too am a believer!

3 Likes

I’d never been on a forum of any sort before & joining here was scary for me. Didn’t know what to choose as a screen name, & I think God put that reference in my mind when I was signing up. I’m glad to know we share a common faith. Jules is also in our camp. :blush:

2 Likes