17 YEAR OLD - 3 days post-op

I meant to say ES, not ED! Duh…

I’m still waiting for the office to call and schedule my surgery. I’m in so much pain I can hardly stand it. Why the hell does this proses take so long. :cry:

Hi Margret,

If you’re trying to get in w/ Dr. Milligan, he is a very busy surgeon, but that’s no excuse for the ofc not calling you back in a timely fashion. If you didn’t get a call back today, I’d call them again on Monday. “It’s the squeaky wheel that gets the grease”. Being persistent also pays off. When your appointment is scheduled, ask to be put on a cancellation list so you have the opportunity to get in sooner than your scheduled appointment if someone ahead of you cancels. Doing this has helped numerous patients get earlier appointments than expected.

Additionally, you can ask your PCP for an Rx for some type of nerve pain medication i.e. gabapentin, neurontin, amitryptiline…or some other type. Starting w/ a low dose & gradually increasing can go far in helping to reduce nerve pain. These meds do have side-effects though so please be aware of that.

Try icing your neck (15 min on & at least 45 min off) or using moist heat (a damp washcloth over a heat pack makes this doable) to see if either of those help. Try to put your computer, phone, tablet - whatever you use at eye-level when using it so you aren’t looking down. That has also helped some people. Sleeping with your head elevated at night can also help.

Thank you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. They finally called yesterday and I have surgery scheduled for April 22. I also asked to be on the cancellation list. I really appreciate your kind words.

2 Likes

WOW! That 's pretty quick! I guess the wait was worth it. So glad you can start counting down. April 22 will be here before you know it!

I’ll put your surgery date on my calendar & will pray for you especially on that day.

:hugs: :sunflower:

Praise Yah Jimmy!!! How wonderful to hear that you are starting to feel some relief…I am so happy to hear that you are doing much better. You have no idea how your life will change for the better. If you do the second surgery, it will get better for you. So happy for you. Only those of us who have walked in this horrible situation can truly say, we know what you are going through. This site has been a God send for my survival and those of us out there who are yet to be diagnosed.

Margaret, hope you are on the road to healing. Just seems like it has been a long process. It was that same way for me…I am well and I am glad that you are on your way. Stay strong, pray, and know that things will get better.

Hadassa,

I feel like the first couple days of relief are fighting through the fog of the pain. I hope I will be able to break through soon.

My soul is so excited for the future. I am ready for surgery number two.

I just need to get off the pain meds and schedule it. Thank you for your words.

Jimmy

I have put you on my calendar also. I will pray for you on April 22 for courage and peace. This is hard. I understand. You are almost out of the woods. Hugs

1 Like

Thank you everyone. This group is really helpful :hugs::heart_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Jimmy - you’re moving in the right direction. Slow and steady wins the race!:turtle:

Thank you so much! That means a lot🥰

Hi jimmyeagle,

Your surgeon may require that you wait 3 months between surgeries. This seems to be the normal spacing for bilateral surgeries now. Getting your second one on the calendar early will be good for you psychologically so you can start the countdown to a more complete recovery from ES & getting to restart your life.

Usually within the second week post op there are noticeable improvements from an ES surgery. Often the symptoms disappear gradually over time to the extent that one day you think, “WOW!! I don’t have XXXX (name of symptom) anymore!!” This usually occurs over the period of a week to 6 months or more post op.

1 Like

Thanks Isaiah!

That is really important information. I’m glad you responded.

I am definitely going to try to get my second one soon. I’m hoping I won’t have to wait three months. Ugh.

I’ve been feeling relief creep in (12 days post-op). IT STARTS SO DEEP.

It’s like you’re walking out of a very deep cave.

Very pleased. Just getting off of Oxycodone. I’m glad I have no more left.

Thanks again, Isaiah.

Jimmy

1 Like

Keep strong Jimmy, hope you can manage without them…

Jimmy ~
It’s great to hear you’re at the end of the Oxycodone. Don’t let pain grab ahold though. If you experience days that are pretty uncomfy, try icing your neck, &, at this point, you can use ibuprofen or Tylenol to help w/ pain control. Just make sure to drink 8 oz of water w/ whatever you take.

I like your analogy of the feeling of healing creeping in like walking out of a very deep cave. It painted a vivid picture in my mind & took me back to my period of healing from ES. I ended up w/ 9 months between my surgeries, but that’s another story, considering I begged to have both styloids taken out at once. :crazy_face:

May your healing continue & your symptoms disappear completely! Please let us know when your next surgery is scheduled.

1 Like

Jimmyeagle, how are you feeling? I’m having surgery in a couple weeks and I’m a bit anxious.

Love & Prayers, Margret

How are you feeling?

Hey Margret!

I sent you a private message. You can access them at your profile page.

No need to respond. Just really wanting to help you.

I am doing great!

Stay strong.

Jimmy

Thank you so much. I have a lot of faith. I’m so tired of hurting I can handle anything. I will keep you posted on my surgery. What were you using for pain before you went in?