All possible and rare symptoms of eagle syndrome

Zdravka did you ever get the surgery?

Hello Iā€™m new to forum, Iā€™m sorry your in pain itā€™s not fun, you did mention foreign sensation in back of throat and tongue. could you describe your sensation and did you have painful swallowing. I know how you feel when they tell you itā€™s in your head it stinks. I hope your doing better. Thank you.

JLASKE 1970, Welcome to the flock :wink:

Because you mentioned ā€œsplinter sensationā€ I am wondering if you have had a CT yet?

My Dr originally thought I had a fish bone, and then tonsil stones. I had neither = I had my Styloid pushing into my throat in front of my tonsil [yep still have them].

I hard sore throat, and then later much sorer [strep throat like pain] and cough when talking a lot [I am a teacher so almost daily] and choking on rough food [like toasted bread sandwich].

Hope this helps,
Seamom

Thank you so much for info. Iā€™m very confused at this state but I guess my cat scan from last year didnā€™t show Eagles? But I know if there not looking for it they wonā€™t find it. I see my neuro tomorrow but honestly depending on what she says I may go back to my Ent. The only thing they told me was that they thought I had glossopharyngeal Neurelgia and my MRI of brain looked fine. Iā€™m not sure what to think anymore. Btw did you ever get any weird mouth sensations like in the back around the tonsils or way back on tongue? Just curious.

Tongue & throat irritation is common with ES. Those old styloids are quite the mischief makers in those areas in addition to ears, jaw, neck, shoulders, eyes, headā€¦

The first symptom I had was glossopharyngeal neuralgia (with all the pain around my throat, mouth, and tongue) and it went away completely after my left styloid was taken down to about 2 cm.

Hope this is helpful Zdravka. I have had tooth pain since 2001, which feels like nerve pain (cavities) yet all teeth are fine. Never got a reason for this, but have to wonder if it is ES related. My ligaments are equally elongated R&L, however my severe pain is on the right side. I have definite diagnosis of ES and am awaiting search for surgeon to do extraoral surgery. I also have now had (past 1yr+) severe pain in mastoid bone area running down front of neck and connecting to the clavicle near the sternum. I do believe all of this is pinching nerves in side of neck and face.
Hope this helps you out a bit. :slight_smile:

Zdravka hasnā€™t been on the site for a long time- I donā€™t know if she ever got surgery or not.
The Trigeminal Nerve goes along the jaw, and can make individual teeth ache- I have the same pain in a couple of molars, but like you, thereā€™s nothing wrong with them! I take amitriptyline, which helps quite a bit.

If you have a CD of your CT you can look at your last yearā€™s image as a 3D picture to see if the Styloid ma were long. The information for how to do this is shared on a post on this site. One of the the members was nice enough to even give step by step how to make it directions - thatā€™s how I made mine. I found it very helpful to see them for myself before meeting with surgeons.

I wish you luck with your next Dr apt