Cognetti knowledgeable about cci?

Hi everyone,
I’ve been trying to read up more on eagle’s to prepare for my upcoming appointment. The more I read about cci and ES, the more scared I am. I might have cci, one doc thinks scans show I do and other doesn’t think so. I improved with invasive traction but not enough to qualify me for fusion surgery. So I’m scared if I get a styloidectomy or some other ES surgical intervention my possible cci will get worse. I guess I have 2 questions:

1. are doctors Cognetti and/or Hackman knowledgeable about cci?

2. do they ever just remove part of or like uncalcify the stylohyoid tendon? I reread some doctor notes and saw the neurosurgeon said my jugular is being compressed by my c1 vertebrae and calcified stylohyoid ligament.

Thanks

Dr. Henderson in Washington, DC, is one of the foremost CCI doctors in this country. As I understand it, he believes that styloidectomies do NOT increase CCI. I’m sure there are differing opinions among medical professionals & also differing experiences among those who have CCI & have had styloidectomies.

Since you have IJV compression, you would be better off seeing Dr. Hackman since he cuts the styloid shorter than Dr. Cognetti, but you could have a consult w/ Dr. Cognetti & ask him if he’s familiar w/ CCI & what he does w/ IJV compression. He’s helped quite a number of our members who had IJV compression. I don’t know that anyone has commented regarding his knowledge or lack thereof of CCI. Dr. Costantino in NY specifically does IJV decompression surgery. He would probably be the best doctor for you to see though I have no idea what his thoughts are about CCI.

•Dr Peter Costantino, Lenox Hill Hospital, Manhattan 212- 262- 2929
http://www.nyhni.org/find-a-physician/Peter-D-Costantino-MD,FACS
•Dr. Larry Lo, 850 Northern Bl, Floor 1, Great Neck, NY, (516) 773-7737, https://www.northwell.edu/find-care/find-a-doctor/neurosurgery/dr-sheng-fu-larry-lo-md-11511781 Operates w/ Dr. Costantino. DOES C-1 SHAVE for IJV compression.

2 Likes

Thanks! Dr Henderson is the one who told me I had a compressed jugular. I was seeing him a second opinion on my cci. I don’t have issues with him as a doctor, but I was hoping to not have to go back to see him again since he’s expensive and we’ve had to pay a lot of doctors out of pocket.

Hi Bailey,

Since you’ve seen Dr. Henderson, & I don’t believe he does styloidectomies or vascular decompressions, you’d have no reason to see him again unless you’re going to have a cranio-cervical fusion. Dr. Costantino should be your next stop on the journey of getting your IJV decompressed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I was surprised he does do the Eagle’s syndrome surgery, at least it seemed implied during my last appointment. I was surprised since my other cci neurosurgeon does them and I figured they all had the same skill set :sob:. I guess that was very naive on my part. I was hoping to avoid NY since my dad is still traumatized from having taken me there for the invasive traction. Apparently NY on ramps are very short.

1 Like

I have been receiving PRP for CCI at Caring Medical, Florida where I was also diagnosed with Eagles Syndrome and had a styloidectomy by Dr. Cognetti. My JV was flattened at C1. The styloid was removed to the base of my skull.

1 Like

Did the styloidectomy help? Is the prp helping?

My symptoms went away for about three months but then I started having issues with scar tissue pulling at C1 from where the styloid was removed and around the neck incision. The CT venogram and brain MRI I had done after surgery showed no evidence of intracranial hypertension but a recent ultrasound done at the clinic of the referring physician showed only a slight decrease since the operation. The referring physician is now trying to determine if the cervical instability is still the source of intracranial hypertension or the left styloid which is also flattening the IJV.

2 Likes

Yes, the PRP has helped a lot but has taken many treatments as the instability was severe and the surgery definitely caused a set back

Yes my doctors think hat my ijv compression is caused more by my c1 not be where it should be han my elongated styloid. Do you have any infections btw? I’m asking since I have Lyme and coinfections and I’ve been worried prp might make things worse.

Thanks!

Are you worried about the interaction of PRP and an autoimmune disease? I believe I have autoimmune condition caused by a vaccine I took in 2009 and when I had PRP, it was extremely painful for about 2 weeks following treatment. I switched to prolotherapy and didn’t have the same extreme symptoms after prolotherapy with dextrose.

1 Like