Confused. What surgery did I have done? + Hyoid post op

Ooh, that’s impressive, it does look painful, poor you, very gentle hugs to you…
Make sure you cover the ice pack though although I’m sure you know that! Hopefully swelling won’t be too bad as you’ve had a drain in…that’s a long time for a drain to be in! Mine was in for a day, that was bad enough, I couldn’t sleep :grimacing:. Keep up with the painkillers, thinking of you, lots of prayers too.

1 Like

Ty for praying. Yes I feel like this scar is ginormous and a lot lower compared to ones I’ve seen here?!. But I guess since the hyoid & ligament was the goal it makes sense. Wish I could tell if the intended goal was achieved but I’m too swollen, in pain, and too drugged up to tell. But thank God for this forum because I have read and now know I have to be patient & it’ll be awhile.

So I tried ice and can’t even stand the pressure of something that lightweight on it yet. Even With a towel it felt like searing pain.

Doing liquid hydrocodone every 4-6hrs but going to try to add an nsaid soon because the swelling is bad “inside” even with drain. I can’t swallow easily at all.

These nerves refiring (guess that’s what it is) and spasms is something else. Out of nowhere it’s like “zap-I got ya!” Lol. Docs don’t warn ya about that !!

WOW! Thanks for the pics! He did a nice job on your incision. You’re right though, regular ES incisions are different - usually more off to the side of the neck, but not necessarily shorter or smaller. And, I agree w/ Jules. That is a LONG time for the drain to remain in place. It will help control your post op swelling though.

I can understand the weight of the ice being uncomfy. When the incision is on the side of the neck, the ice doesn’t sit so directly on the incision (i.e. not w/ its full weight). If your pain & swelling are too intense, you can ask for prednisone. Even a week’s worth would help you. Most doctors don’t prescribe it post op, but Dr. Samji does, & it was a godsend for me. Looks like you’re doing a good job of keeping your head elevated when lying down. That will also help.

Having your stylohyoid ligament liberated from the hyoid bone & at least partially removed should make a big difference in helping resolve the pain you had, but as you have noticed, the nerves are already letting you know they aren’t happy. You can expect a bit more of that over the next few months as the nerves heal. Hopefully it won’t be excessive though.

So glad you’re on the healing side of things. I’ll be praying for your quick recovery.

:bouquet:

1 Like

Thank you. The dr’s nurse almost wanted the drain in until after thanksgiving on Dec 2 because of their holiday vacation. But my husband insisted on next Monday. I’m on humira …immunocompromised, and can’t have an entry point for infection straight into my neck! So thankful my hubby advocated for me.

1 Like

Day 3 post op. Trying to swallow and it’s a jumbled mess. Liquid tries to go up nose or sit at back of throat or go down the wrong way. Have thought about going in for IV fluids & pain meds… I can’t get much down. Anyone go in for dehydration after surgery?

Might be an idea if you’re struggling to get anything down, hugs to you :pray:

1 Like

There have been a few other members who have really struggled w/ swallowing post op, but I’m not sure if anyone has needed IV hydration. It is a possibility though.

I agree w/ Jules. Go get some hydration & pain meds (if you haven’t yet). They will help you be more comfy & will promote healing. I’m sorry you’re having such a rough time & hope this passes very soon. :hugs:

1 Like

Definitely an option and now with all of the O2 bars around that should be easy to find! Dehydration will only complicate matters so get it if you need it!

1 Like

Update. REALLY MEDICATED so bare with me. Friday was Day 3 post op. I got
A lovely dose of iv fluids at home from a nurse service (like an Iv company). But I also called my doc and told him my symptoms — I got to the point things swelled so Much I couldn’t breathe or talk. . Went to ER where surgeon & his resident met me.

2 issues. Infection at incision. But also esophagus swelling. They popped the stitches to release . Ct done. Not an abscess but lots of fluid. Drained the fluid. Cultures drawn . I’ve had 3 antibiotics, steroids, and paid meds all night. Swallowing still not working even tho swelling is down. Lots of mucous. But I can finally breathe ! Will be Admitted for 2 days.

Good news is dr got it all… styloid , ligament, left hyoid.

This is what infection looks like.

Keep the prayers coming.

1 Like

WOW! THAT IS ONE SCARY LOOKING NECK! It looks like your incision was a type of noose strangling you (I realize it’s all in the angle of the photo). I’m so glad you went back to the hospital & that your surgeon was quick to respond. Your swallowing will come back as the swelling declines. The nerves & esophagus have been squeezed by the inflammation & need a bit of time to recover. I hope going forward that each day sees a bit of recovery from this.

You are a trooper! Sending you a hug & praying for you now.

:hugs: :pray:

1 Like

Thank you. Soo I was warned by my rheumatologist and ent that being on Humira injections makes me more prone to infection, so word of caution to those following along on this thread if you’re on meds that weaken your immune system. I did everything to be proactive to prevent infection… delayed my injection , had a drain and was good at not touching it, even prophylactic antibiotics before and during surgery…and still I dont think I Couldve prevented this.

Tonight is so much better. Even a big change from my earlier post. The swelling is less, but still redder than they’d like. Speech therapy came and was wonderful at helping me to figure out my swallowing. I swallowed some broth very slowly tonight, but apple sauce was too much. Yay for antibiotics and steroids!! I’m relieved because a feeding tube was put on the table.

Most excited the styloid and ligaments are gone! And hyoid is smoothed out !

Prayers are helping!

Graphic pic below… here’s the new tube I. Between dressing changes. More can flow out this way and helpS a time.

Yeah, I’d say that tube is “slightly” :joy: larger diameter than the old one. I hope that helps a lot. Again, I’m so sorry you’re going through this but so glad to read that there is progress in the right direction as far as healing goes.

I just got put through the ringer by my second shingles shot. Because my immune system was compromised, I picked up a respiratory bug that’s knocked me out for 2 weeks. I RARELY get sick so this was definitely outside the norm for me! Additionally I got some unusual side effects from the shingles shot itself a week after the immunization when the URI started. I think it was more than my poor body wanted to deal with at the time. It’s so easy to take our ability to fight off the usual “bugs” for granted until we can’t. Then we realize what a huge benefit having a hardy immune system can be.

1 Like

Oh you poor thing! So sorry to hear that!! Yes it’s all a big lesson and thankfully we can share with others. And we can learn how important those first red flags are for our immune system. I hope you’re now on the upswing. Self care, friend, and take that rest you preach often. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I am excited to say I’m going home. Dexamethasone (steroid) has been a miracle drug… swelling has gone way down, my swallow is nearly normal. Now just dealing with the lovely effects of the many antibiotics and pain meds. Follow up appt tomorrow—drain likely coming out.

From unable to Get applesauce down yesterday to half a burger (very slowly) today. image

Y’all don’t judge me :joy:it’s progress !!!

2 Likes

Praise the Lord!!! What an uphill recovery for you, lady! Really sorry to hear all this. Great job seeking medical care. Sounds like things are under control now. You’ll be glad to go home (again, lol).

That burger looks amazing. I ate things in recovery I don’t want to admit. Whatever sounded good is what I ate. I think we all deserve to eat our feelings occasionally in life :upside_down_face:

God bless!!!

3 Likes

FANTASTIC PROGRESS, premedmom! That is such great news! Glad you’re heading home soon. Much nicer to recover there. Love the burger pic!! :joy:

2 Likes

Great news, so pleased for you! What an answer to prayer that burger was :joy::joy:. Hope that the infection is under control now, & you keep on with that amazing progress! Very, very gentle hugs for you!

1 Like

Thanks everyone! Drain came out today—looks great. I can stop all the meds. I have a new appreciation for my surgeon who was really on top of my care this weekend and catered to my every question and need.

Now My kids are at the theater watching Frozen II (a treat for being so darn patient with all this drama). Feeling pretty good today! I survived a 2nd ES surgery, infection, and am home resting and ordering Thanksgiving groceries to be delivered. God is good. image

premedmom - God is good! I definitely second that sentiment!! You’ve had truly amazing improvement. I’m glad you got some quiet time at home today & I hope your kiddos enjoyed Frozen 2! My brother worked on it, & his name actually appears in the credits, likely at the very end where no one will ever see it because who wants to sit through 10 minutes of credits after the movie is over. :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

That looks so much better! Praying that things will keep improving for you, God bless :pray::bouquet:

1 Like