Could this be vascular compression?

@1speechpick First of all I am not a doctor or radiologist so this is purely observational on my end. It is hard to discern any meaningful pathological (disease causing) compression from the 3 slides you put on here without examining the whole CT scan. Having said that, I suspect you might have slight compression on your carotid/carotid sheath by the right Styloid but I can’t say it for sure until I examine the axial images to see if the right Styloid is touching your right carotid. So this can potentially cause compression/irritation of Sympathetic plexus nerve which can manifest as neck pain, headache, eye pain, tinnitus, or dizziness. Also if you have compression on Vagus nerve, it can cause stomach issues. These 2 nerves run along the Carotid sheath so it is possible they are being irritated. I also noticed that your left Hyoid greater horn lies in between the left Carotid artery bifurcation (where it branches into external & internal carotid arteries). This is also associated with a rare syndrome called Carotid Artery Entrapment which can cause all kind of symptoms. It also lies close to Hypoglossal nerve which can cause tongue issues if irritated. So bottom line is, you need to investigate whether your right Styloid is slightly compressing Carotid sheath or if the left Hyoid greater horn is touching one of the branches of your carotid arteries. More images showing the front views would be helpful in the case of Hyoid greater horns to see if they are touching the carotid branches. What are your symptoms? do you have them more when you turn/rotate your neck?

Here is an image from the internet to show you different cranial nerves and the close proximity to the carotid artery

Blue circle shows the area of interest if there was any contact between the right styloid and your carotid artery. It is not clear from this sagittal (side) view. Also, the Cyan arrow (outside the circle) on the second image shows what appears to be calcification of some kind which could potentially touch nerves. Axial view is required as shown on third image

This is an axial view from the internet showing a contact between the styloid and carotid artery. So You will need to examine the axial images in your CT similar to this one. If it is caused by rotation, you won’t be able to find compression on a static CT so you need a dynamic CT done first

Here is the left side showing what appears to be Carotid Artery Entrapment by the Hyoid Bone. I have discussed this before in another thread here called (Input on my 3D pictures?) as shown below. you can have a look but I am not sure you have the same issues as that lady had stroke like episodes.

1 Like