Imput on my 3D pictures?

Hi

I got my CT with contrast done today.
Got the pictures on a disc and have been setting it up as a 3D modell, also been looking through tons of pictures to compare.
What im thinking out of that is that my i think my styloid is normal, but i may have a calcified ligament on each side. Also i think the C1 might be compressing the arterys.

I am still waiting for the doctors feedback, but since i am 99% sure they will just dismiss it all, i want to have some ideas of what im looking at so i can ask about it and as for a referal to another hospital that is more specialized.

What do you guys think? In a non-medical opinion of course.
Is calcified ligament acknowleged as a problem or not?

Also, any idea what might be going on in my left shoulder? TOS?

Really aprecciate any feedback :hibiscus: :heartpulse: :purple_heart:

Front:

Skjermbilde 2021-12-24 012629

Skjermbilde 2021-12-24 012705

Back:
Skjermbilde 2021-12-24 011242

Right:

Skjermbilde 2021-12-24 011720

Skjermbilde 2021-12-24 011814

Left:

Skjermbilde 2021-12-24 011558

Skjermbilde 2021-12-24 011636

SIdeview MIP and VRT
Skjermbilde 2021-12-24 012648

Skjermbilde 2021-12-24 012725

CT of each side showing C1 against artery
Skjermbilde 2021-12-24 012748

Skjermbilde 2021-12-24 012835

C1 and artery from behind
Skjermbilde 2021-12-24 012921

Shoulders; front view and both right and left for refrence. Left side is very different from right side. I have read some people with EDS and ES also have problems with compression in shoulder… TOS maybe.
It does look like the bloodflow on that site is not as good as the other.

Skjermbilde 2021-12-24 014853

Skjermbilde 2021-12-24 014929

Skjermbilde 2021-12-24 015506

Skjermbilde 2021-12-24 015951

Well, in my non-medical opinion, your neck seems very straight (loss of cervical lordosis aka military neck).
I’d guess you have some stiffness in thoracic part of the spine too? E.g. how easy for you is to do the cat-cow exercise as in this youtube video? 10 Best Back Pain Exercises Ever Created-Stretches & Strengthening - YouTube

Re styloids, vascular impingement… there might be slight compressions, but they don’t look very extreme to me… :thinking:

But if you have cervical instability, this can be very dynamic situation, especially when it comes to vertebrobasilar arteries/veins going through the transverse foramenae. I guess the arteries leaving the spine at C1 level might get compressed at C1/C2 or atlantooccipital level.

4 Likes

Hi Saxine,

Given the images here, I am not a radiologist nor a doctor and my suspicion needs to be verified by a trained radiologist but I have suspicion that you might be suffering from a rare right side carotid artery entrapment by Hyoid Bone when you turn your head as it is very close to the right carotid artery as shown below. I circled the carotid artery bifurcation (where it branches) and green arrow points the Hyoid bone almost touch the artery branches. This could explain your intermittent stroke like episode on the right side facial droopiness and weakness after you turn your head but needs to be confirmed. I have found few cases in the literature here (Frontiers | Hyoid Elongation May Be a Rare Cause of Recurrent Ischemic Stroke in Youth-A Case Report and Literature Review | Neurology) ( Carotid Artery Entrapment by the Hyoid Bone-A Rare Cause of Recurrent Strokes in a Young Patient).

On the left side of Hyoid bone is also close to the left carotid artery but bit far compared to the right. Not sure if it is touching when you turn your head or move it.

As far as the Jugular Veins are concerned, Yes, the C1 Transverse process is compressing them but I doubt they are the cause of the stroke like episodes. They cause head pressure and vision issues by raising the intracranial pressure. These are Veins not Arteries. Arteries supply blood to brain where Veins return blood from the Brain back to the heart. Artery dissection or occlusion is an emergency as the blood cutoff from the brain is very damaging.

Inkedcarotid image_LI

Finally, I need you to post more images to confirm this issue. Can you post Coronal and Axial images of the neck. Similar to the ones posted below. I found these ones in the internet and you can see the horn of the Hyoid bone in the middle of Carotid Bifurcation.

Sample Carotid entrapment

On the last note, it is late here in Canada and I have not had much time to look all the images in detail but this are my suspicions based on your symptoms NOT DIAGNOSES as I am not licensed radiologist. This is to help you to take it back to the Radiologists in Norway and have them verify it. Also, demand to do DYNAMIC Angiogram, so they can see the Hyoid bone compression if any.

3 Likes

I see what looks like the transverse processes of C-1 compressing your jugular veins (the right looks worse than the left to me), & can understand what KoolDude mentioned regarding possible carotid compression by the greater horn(s) of the hyoid bone. I also totally agree w/ vdm about the loss of the lordotic curvature in your neck. That alone can cause all sorts of shoulder problems, head & neck pain ,but when you add the vascular compression, the symptoms can be really terrible.

I do see that your right styloid is very short, but your left one looks a bit long & perhaps a bit thick which can also create problems. Your right styloid even though short is forked. It doesn’t look like the little points are causing a problem, but when your head is in certain positions, they could be contributing to the compression on your right IJV. Can’t tell for sure though.

I don’t see any calcification of your stylohyoid ligaments in the images you sent. The ligaments attach to the lesser horns of the hyoid bone & would be visible either there or between those points & the styloid processes if there was any calcification on the ligaments. I’m including some images below to help you understand what I mean. The picture w/ the calcified ligaments has one that is excessively calcified & one that is what is more commonly seen.

Cornu = Horn

Calcified stylohyoid ligaments

3 Likes

I also wanted to add that I noticed the lateral right horn of the Hyoid Bone is located high up close proximity to the right carotid bifurcation (branching of the carotid artery into external & internal). This high up location is linked to carotid compression of the hyoid bone according to this paper (Carotid Artery Entrapment by the Hyoid Bone-A Rare Cause of Recurrent Strokes in a Young Patient - PubMed)

“The hyoid bone lies in close proximity to the carotid artery bifurcation, and anatomic variants have been implicated in carotid compression, stenosis, dissection, and pseudoaneurysm”

See the black circle below, for the right, it lies close bifurcation, for left it is below the bifurcation.

For example, my hyoid bone horns are below both bifurcation as shown below.

The other thing that makes me suspicious of this hyoid bone involvement is the tongue atrophy and fasciculation you mentioned that you have had after the last episode. The tongue is controlled by the hypoglossal nerve which passes close to the carotid bifurcation and since the hyoid bone is close to that , it is conceivable that not only head-turning compresses the carotid artery, it could also compress the hypoglossal nerve thereby causing tongue issues.

• After one big episode i had Tongue fasciculations and tongue athropy for a long time after.

I got this pic from the internet to show you how close it is to your tongue nerve

I think there is good grounds that this might need to be investigated more to rule out close contacts between hyoid bone and right carotid artery given your images and symptoms. I will also recommend that you ask you doctors blood thinners (anticoagulation medicine) as that might help alleviate stroke incidences according to the few papers about this condition. Also if you can use soft neck collar to make sure that your neck movement is limited since it is triggering these episodes will be helpful while wait for your diagnoses which might take a time given the complexity of this rare condition.

4 Likes

I agree with what the others have said, but I do think there could be some calcification on the ligaments arpund the jaw area both sides. I’m sorry, I’m a technophobe so can’t mark it in the images like the others have, unless it’s artefacts…but lots of advice & pointers from the others as to what to ask a radiologist about…

2 Likes

Good technical description, KoolDude, & thank you for putting it all in understandable terms. You really should consider medical school!

1 Like

@Isaiah_40_31 Thanks but I guess I am in little too old now for medical school, late forties and pushing fifty. The brain does not get sharper from here onwards.

3 Likes

@saxine

Yet another interesting study with carotid entrapment by the Hyoid bone. Might contain some surgery pictures so little warning here. The following images are from the study and see how similar your images on the Hyoid bone look to this one. There is also video animation in the study link which you can download and watch how the right horn of the hyoid bone is in between the two branches of the carotid (ICA & ECA)

Figure thumbnail gr1

Fig 1Computed tomography angiography of the neck. A , Multiplanar reconstruction (MPR) demonstrates the interposition of the right cornu of the hyoid bone between the right carotid arteries. The arrow indicates the right internal carotid artery. B , Anteroposterior and (C) lateral views of a three-dimensional reconstruction show the carotid artery and the cartilaginous and bony structures of the larynx and an osseous background. Note the low carotid bifurcation on the right side at C 4/5. C , The arrow points at the interposition of the right cornu of the hyoid bone between the right carotid artery.

Study Link : Carotid artery entrapment by the hyoid bone

PDF Format : Carotid artery entrapment by the hyoid bone.pdf (1.3 MB)

2 Likes

Wow, what an amazing feedback.
@KoolDude You are an absolute legend! I would never have seen/thought of that.
Thank you everyone for your time and effort, specially kooldude! :smiley:
I have had a long day with the kids, and have been having episodes on and off tonight, so i dont dare sit up by the pc atm.
Holidays are specially hard with two kids with special needs at home, but oh so precious. :purple_heart:
I will sit down and find some more pictures, and write a litte better feedback as soon as i get a little more calm days, maybe tomorrow or the day after.
Take care everyone :hibiscus:

3 Likes

@saxine, you are more than welcome. I know I put too much stuff here since I had the time. Please take time to digest all of these, specially the last study I posted. I am afraid, if they do not see any stenosis (narrowing) or dissection of the artery or occlusion, they might say, there is nothing wrong with it. Insist that it be investigated. The 61 year old in the last study had mild stenosis after TIA but felt better after resection of the horn that was offending.

I hope you find a caring vascular surgeon who will listen and look deep. Please show them some of these studies as well. They tend to heed science literature than patient’s anecdotal evidence. Also, if you can post the frontal Hyoid bone and Carotid images will be helpful in seeing if the right horn is in the middle of right carotid bifurcation as that might cause TIAs if the neck is moved.

Have a wonderful holidays !

1 Like

We like to say we’re only as old as we feel & if we don’t feel old, then we aren’t old. However, I do concur that feeling is not always the same as reality. The brain does shrink w/ age & so does its ability to retain information. I understand your reason for not taking further advanced education. Perhaps you could get some sort of certification to do consulting instead. :wink:

1 Like

Good one. Not to mention Eagle Syndrome which is putting me in downward slope much faster than I would have been otherwise. I wish you and your family the best of holidays Isaiah, You might not know this but reading a lot of your posts along with Jules before joining here helped me tremendously.

2 Likes

You don’t put too much stuff on here at all, you’ve been a great help with all your input & research! Thank you😀

1 Like

Thank you for that info, KoolDude. I’m happy to know that what we’ve posted helped you. You are a tremendous asset to our forum. We’re very thankful you’re here & providing information that we can learn from as well.

If/when you have ES surgery & get your IJV & nerves decompressed, I believe a lot of what you feel you’ve lost will return. Take heart!

Happy Holidays to you. I hope you’re able to enjoy the holidays to the greatest possible extent w/ family or friends.

:heart: :hugs:

2 Likes