Cranio cervical instability and Eagles relationship

I have long calcified stylohyoid. confirmed by imaging.

My primary symptom is dizziness. and also ear issues

recently I have been finding I may have cervical instability (not yet confirmed)

What is the relationship between ES and CCI if any

What should be addressed first ?

it is so confusing as the symptoms like dizziness are common and both have expensive treatment options :frowning:

1 Like

Sorry to hear of your difficulties.

I had both instability and IJV compression. The US medics group did say that C1 compression of IJV is frequently seen in instability patients.

How to prioritise surgeries is always tricky. Hopefully medics can help clearly diagnose your problems and help you prioritise what to do first.

Fusion at c1/C2 did fix instability for me. But JV compression remained and required further surgeries.

I hope you find the medical help you need soon. D

2 Likes

Thanks for you reply!

Do you have both Eagles and CCI?

and do you mind sharing what other surgeries you needed?

1 Like

Sure, to decompress IJVs I had C1 bilateral trim (Mr Timothy Leeds Nuffield) and styloid removal bilateral (Mr Hughes Cleveland Clinic/UCLH). Take care. D

2 Likes

It is tricky to know what symptoms are being caused by each condition…some members (and doctors I think?) feel that the styloids might grow to help stabilise the neck where there’s CCI, and also some members have felt that their CCI symptoms are worsened with removing the styloids, but others have felt much better with having the styloids out!
It would be good if you’re able to get a CT with contrast, ideally done dynamically if you notice symptoms are worse with any different head positions, to see if any blood vessels are being compressed. The styloids can irritate or compress the carotid arteries and also the Internal Jugular veins, but the IJVs can also be compressed by the C1 processes, so it’s helpful to know what you’re potentially dealing with, as dizziness can be caused by both arterial and venous compression. If you’re able to identify perhaps what is going on with the styloids & C1 processes, it might help you decide what surgery is most important?
I know that the health care is difficult in Canada, we’ve had members who have had to pay for surgery in the US as they can’t get treatment in the Canada…Would you be able to consider this or is that not an option?

1 Like

You can also get something called a digital motion X-ray, DMX which will show if there is instability.

2 Likes