Curious about symptoms

Doctors had been thinking that I might have Eagles, finally got a 3d CT done last week. Styloid measured only 27mm, can a person still have symptoms that are related to Eagles, because I have a lot of them. Also, it looks like a blood vessel is damaged exactly beside the tip of the bone.... any similar circumstances out there? I meet again with ENT tomorrow. Thanks So much! And thanks to all of you who take the time to post helpful tips!!

Hi Lizajane,

I don't think they can measure the styloids perfectly on CT scan, especially if they're pointed at a weird angle, like mine were. I know mine weren't super long, but they were aimed at an angle towards my spine, and that's how they caused my symptoms. They didn't know how sharply they were angled and that they were pressing on my spine until after they opened me up.

Surgery worked for me. Good luck; here's hoping you have your answers soon.

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond! The radiologist just kinda blew it off like no big deal....but my body is saying otherwise! But I will see ent to chat with him. Thanks again and I hope you feel better!!!

eagleheart said:

Hi Lizajane,

I don't think they can measure the styloids perfectly on CT scan, especially if they're pointed at a weird angle, like mine were. I know mine weren't super long, but they were aimed at an angle towards my spine, and that's how they caused . They didn't know how sharply they were angled and that they were pressing on my spine until after they opened me up.

Surgery worked for me. Good luck; here's hoping you have your answers soon.

Hi Lizajane,

When I had my surgery, July 25, 2013 in Pittsburgh, my surgeon was surprised to see the direction of my right styloid bone. The CT scan did not define the direction of the pointed end of the styloid clearly. During the surgery, the styloid bone curved inward and almost pierced my spinal cord. As I said before, sometimes they don't know what you exactly have until they are in there. The CT scans don't explain what fleshy structures are being affected. Like eagleheart, we both have had similar things happen. Keep being your own good advocate and question all scan and test results. Trust your own gut first! Push for answers and complete explanations of conclusions from medical professionals. Wishing you the best of luck in whatever medical decision you choose. Take care and God Bless.

Thanks so much!

I sure hope you are feeling better and I hope all your symptoms go ago! That's a chance we all have to take with surgery I guess. I hope life has gotten back to normal....this little bone issue can upset the entire apple cart!!

I did see the ENT yesterday and he says he does not agree with radiologist simply because there is not enough information out there on Eagles. He says a couple mm is not a reason not to lable it, so he continues to refer to it as Eagles. He is going to continue to keep it at the top of the list as to what my problem is. We decided to do a round of antibiotics to rule out any deep tissue infections and just take it a day at a time. He says when if it gets to that unbearable stage, then we'll take care of it with surgery.

Also about 3 weeks ago I started feeling like my blood was vibrating or rushing through my body. Nobody knows...then it started affecting my head like my skull was vibrating and resulting with Major headaches. Only ice on my neck would calm it down. Couldn't sit or lay flat, lost sleep for the entire time. Finally they gave me valium which put me out. Does this sound like a Eagle symptom? Doctors thought anxiety or adrenal problems!!

Thanks for all the help, I wouldn't have gotten this far with God and this website!!!!!

viperbone said:

Hi Lizajane,

When I had my surgery, July 25, 2013 in Pittsburgh, my surgeon was surprised to see the direction of my right styloid bone. The CT scan did not define the direction of the pointed end of the styloid clearly. During the surgery, the styloid bone curved inward and almost pierced my cord. As I said before, sometimes they don't know what you exactly have until they are in there. The CT scans don't explain what fleshy structures are being affected. Like eagleheart, we both have had similar things happen. Keep being your own good advocate and question all scan and test results. Trust your own gut first! Push for answers and complete explanations of conclusions from medical professionals. Wishing you the best of luck in whatever medical decision you choose. Take care and God Bless.

hello!!! After reading this post I am curious about who the doctor was you saw in Pittsburgh???? thanks!

lizajane said:

Thanks so much!

I sure hope you are feeling better and I hope all your symptoms go ago! That's a chance we all have to take with surgery I guess. I hope life has gotten back to normal....this little bone issue can upset the entire apple cart!!

I did see the ENT yesterday and he says he does not agree with radiologist simply because there is not enough information out there on Eagles. He says a couple mm is not a reason not to lable it, so he continues to refer to it as Eagles. He is going to continue to keep it at the top of the list as to what my problem is. We decided to do a round of antibiotics to rule out any deep tissue infections and just take it a day at a time. He says when if it gets to that unbearable stage, then we'll take care of it with surgery.

Also about 3 weeks ago I started feeling like my blood was vibrating or rushing through my body. Nobody knows...then it started affecting my head like my skull was vibrating and resulting with Major headaches. Only ice on my neck would calm it down. Couldn't sit or lay flat, lost sleep for the entire time. Finally they gave me valium which put me out. Does this sound like a Eagle symptom? Doctors thought anxiety or adrenal problems!!

Thanks for all the help, I wouldn't have gotten this far with God and this website!!!!!

viperbone said:

Hi Lizajane,

When I had my surgery, July 25, 2013 in Pittsburgh, my surgeon was surprised to see the direction of my right styloid bone. The CT scan did not define the direction of the pointed end of the styloid clearly. During the surgery, the styloid bone curved inward and almost pierced my cord. As I said before, sometimes they don't know what you exactly have until they are in there. The CT scans don't explain what fleshy structures are being affected. Like eagleheart, we both have had similar things happen. Keep being your own good advocate and question all scan and test results. Trust your own gut first! Push for answers and complete explanations of conclusions from medical professionals. Wishing you the best of luck in whatever medical decision you choose. Take care and God Bless.

Hi

I had a CT scan a year ago - aimed to check up on length of my styloids. It came back normal. So I thought that my ENT were being so silly when he wanted to do a new CT to measure them again 6 months later. But I agreed to do the scan again as I were so desperate.

And this second scan showed that they were in fact to long. I really do not know why it did not show the first time around.

One other challenge is that doctors cant see exactly what tissue or whitch nerves that are affected by these bones on the scan. They might get an idea about it, but its not very accurate.

In my case the CT showed that both styloids were too long, but they never suspected that the left one were rubbing aginst my tonsil, ripping apart tissue from the inside. Even though I had been telling them that I had this constant feeling of beeing stabbed by a sharp object.

So … I think that you should ask for a “second opinion scan”

It has now been about three weeks since my intra oral surgery, and I feel relief already.
Keep searching and fighting for diagnosis and treatment.

Hi esheeley

The name of my surgeon was Dr. Carl Synderman who specializes in throat disorders, who is also a neurologist and ENT physician. You can check him out on the UPMC web site. I was very pleased with my intraoral styloid surgery experience with him. He and Dr. Cognetti know each other and went to med school together. Just to throw this in, Dr. Nancy Synderman (seen on NBC and AARP written medical consultant) is his sister. I hope this is the information you needed. Good luck to you and if you have any other questions, please feel free to post them to me. I come on the site every other day when I can.

esheeley said:

hello!!! After reading this post I am curious about who the doctor was you saw in Pittsburgh???? thanks!

lizajane said:

Thanks so much!

viperbone said:

Hi Lizajane,

I believe the scans can be misleading too!

I also don't feel it matters so much on the length. The radiologist said he didn't mention anything about my styloid processes on the report because it wasn't past the mandible........SERIOUSLY??!! (the 3d CBCT was ordered for jaw/ bite placement) My dentist was very angry about it to say the least.

If it is pressing on something it can cause symptoms. The x-ray tech measured my left one at approx. 27mm. Dr. Samji took out 30 mm. Thickness is important too. He also said they are very thick.

I have experienced the vibration sensation as well. My internist said the vagus nerve is also located in the same area and could be getting aggravated too.....causing fight or flight symptoms. Dr. Samji said palpitations are a symptom of ES as well. I thought it was just my hot flashes ;)

Keep pushing for the answers!

Take care,

Sheila