Disturbing Dr. appointment

Hi Tim,

I’m so sorry you’re still without a diagnosis. I think @Calebp brought up a good point, your compression could be caused by an irritated i.e. tight or swollen muscle - the digastric or some others that are under your jaw. I was having a lot of trouble w/ choking when I drank water a few months ago. I thought it was a throw back to ES. I mentioned it to my chiropractor, & he went to work on the muscles under my jaw & said my digastric was very tight. He gave it a good working over (YOWCH!!), & shortly thereafter, my “drinking problems” stopped. It seemed miraculous to me.

You might want to see if there is someone in your area who does PT for the jaw & neck muscles. Maybe even swallowing therapy as those therapists work on muscles in that area.

1 Like

Actually, Calebp, I wouldn’t dismiss Dr. Nuss. He is an excellent & experienced surgeon. Even our most experienced docs don’t seem to get the full picture of ES & the symptoms it can cause.

1 Like

I know you mentioned this before but did dr nuss need a referral for other people. Cause I called yesterday and they said it was referral only.

That may be a new policy of theirs. I don’t think they required a referral in the past. Things are changing quickly in the current environment.

1 Like

Yeah, well I’m other news I sent my ENT my images and a email and he immediately (within 5min) sent me a referral to a ENT head and neck surgeon that does Styloidectomies. So I give him props for admitting he was wrong and getting me to the right person.

1 Like

Good for him!! Do you mind sharing the name of the doc he referred you to? We’re always looking to add doctors to our list.

1 Like

Sure it’s Dr Withrow at UAB Birmingham. Idk if you have to have a referral but I already have been a pt at uab before so they have all my records.

1 Like

They are actually very short but thick at the base and possibly calcified!! All I know is under my right ear something is compressing nerves etc … I have multiple Es symptoms for sure !!

I will look into digastric muscle for sure … thx

Did the 3D reconstruct that area?

Tim,

Very thick styloids can compress nerves & vascular tissues (usually IJV). Styloids don’t have to be elongated to be ES/cause ES symptoms. Trying to convince a doctor of that who knows about ES, is nearly impossible as they all look for elongation. Most won’t even acknowledge that calcified stylohyoid ligaments in the absence of elongated styloids are also ES. It’s so FRUSTRATING!

Dr. Hackman in NC seems to be a bit more open to ES interpretation. It would be worth it to see him for a consult if you can afford to travel. The thickness issue is something you could certainly discuss w/ him.