Dizziness; get me off this merry-go-round!

Hi Jenna,

I had a similar situation w/ heavy exercise - my blood pressure would drop instead of rising, I’d get winded & couldn’t regain my breath then would get dizzy & feel like I was going to pass out. The feeling lasted for 5-30 min. then other oddball symptoms would follow when the dizziness, etc., left.

It sounds like maybe you only have one elongated styloid which is great. Make sure your stylohyoid ligaments are also checked as they can also contribute to symptoms if they are calcified or partially calcified.

I hope Dr. Hoekstra is knowledgeable & experienced so you can put ES behind you ASAP & actually do one of those half ironman triathlons you’ve trained for! Having to search around or travel long distances to find a good/experienced doctor makes the whole process much harder & more discouraging.

Here is a post about Dr. Hoekstra from a forum member. Sorry about my mistake in not seeing his name on the list relative to where you live:

Mar '14

Hi there,

I have just got to this e-mail - and do belong to the support group, so you may already know my story.

I had my elongated styloid processes very successfully removed by Dr Hoekstra at Greenacres Hospital, Port Elizabeth, South Africa. He is actually a plastic surgeon who does reconstructive surgery, so was well qualified to tackle that sort of procedure.

*It did take a while to find someone who believed that Eagle’s Syndrome was the cause of earache, neck and head pain on one side, and faintness and slight nausea on the other, which I felt on turning my head. *

They were removed extra-orally, and I am now without symptoms. What a relief!

Please let us know how you fare if you do see him.
:slightly_smiling_face:

P.S. A bigger bust will hinder not help you be a speedy triathlete. Go for more fast twitch muscles instead! :rofl:

1 Like