Dr wants to cut greater auricular nerve and unnamed cutaneous nerve. Thoughts?

I am not sure about the pros and cons of this in practical application. The Dr suggested I do both, and said it was most do, but I often feel numbness (if that makes sense). I almost perceive the lack of something to perceive. If anyone has any information or experiences, I would be most appreciative to hear them.

Thank you
Danie

I’m a little confused. Does the doctor want to cut those nerves in conjunction with doing a styloidectomy or just to try to relieve your pain without doing anything about your elongated styloid(s)? It doesn’t seem like a normal part of a styloidectomy procedure. The greater auricular nerve has been mentioned in several posts which you can find by using the magnifying glass search tool in the upper right of this page & typing greater auricular nerve in the search box. One post mentions that the GAN was moved out of the way during surgery but not cut: Surgery with Mr Hughes London this Friday - #309 by PatientD

You can also search for posts discussing cutaneous nerves the same way. Here’s the link to one post that mentions the brachial cutaneous nerve was moved out of the way but not cut during surgery: Surgery Completed! - #10 by tokenegret

2 Likes

Hi, I would expect nerves to be monitored during surgery and to be moved to allow styloid to be cut/removed. I do not recommend you agree to any nerves being cut. Even if they are monitored while moved I had significant pain & some facial muscle weakness (droop mouth one side) & had to do facial physio work after surgery. My upper face (eg lifting eyebrows) was not affected, but they did test for that in recovery room. Take care. D

2 Likes

He wants to take out the styloid as well as cut the nerves.

Thank you for sharing and your recommendation. I am not going to do it.

2 Likes

I am glad to hear that. I think it is the right decision. Take care. D

2 Likes

I second @PatientD’s opinion & comment - so glad you’re not opting to get the nerves cut.

1 Like

I agree, there really doesn’t seem to be any need to cut the nerves…

1 Like

I may have read that Dr. Costantino also cuts the GAN but he apparently puts it back together as well at the end of surgery. Can anyone confirm this and why he does that?

I haven’t heard of Dr. C doing that, but hopefully someone in the know will post an answer.