Excessive sweating

Can ES. Cause excessive sweating ? Im asking because I get pain ,feeling of fatigue and then excessive sweating

Yes it can. Hyperhidrosis is a less common symptom, but we have had members who have mentioned it. Sweating & fatigue are your body’s parasympathetic response to the pain. You’re likely getting a release of adrenaline from the pain which brings on the fatigue (I had that when I had First Bite Syndrome after my first ES surgery) & the sweating may be a mild version of going into shock from the pain jolt.

2 Likes

Thank you isaiah ,I can understand that due to the amount of pain i’m in most of the time .My Dr appt coming really soon :slightly_smiling_face::flushed:

4 Likes

I get the sweating sometimes too! It’s not all the time but boy when I do im like a puddle and I usually get super fatigued! Praying for some answers for you on your upcoming appointment!

4 Likes

Thank you Ddmarie Will keep yall updated

3 Likes

I get sweating but not much pain. I feel so lucky I’ve not experienced much pain with this, I get more a dull ache at the back of my throat. But Im sure it’s compressing the vagas as I’m definitely sympathetically dominant. I do something called coherent breathing and it helps, but not always. Today I had two client calls back to back, I don’t normally do that and I noticed my throat actually hurt afterwards from talking for that long. I also sometimes feel I’m blaming eagle syndromes for everything that’s going on with me, be interesting to see what happens after surgery.

1 Like

Vocal changes including total vocal loss & throat pain after excessive conversation are not uncommon ES symptoms.

Could you speak ok after surgery? I teach yoga classes and I’m wondering how long recovery will take?

I had some damage done to my glossopharyngeal nerve during surgery because it was wrapped around my styloid & had to be unwrapped so styloid could be shortened. This affected my tongue so speaking was difficult because half my tongue was paralyzed. By 6 months post op I could speak more clearly & by 9 mos., my speech was pretty normal again.

Every person is different so recovery is very individual. For many people, some symptoms are flat out gone when they wake up from surgery & for others it can take a number of months for nerve damage to recover & symptoms to gradually disappear. I’m sorry I can’t give a more concrete answer!

You will want to give your body adequate healing time after surgery i.e. 4-6+ weeks before starting back into yoga instruction after your surgery. I went back to Pilates class at the end of my second post op week. It was waaaay too soon. I also stupidly tried to run in a 15k race 6 weeks post op & ended up walking the whole last half all the while feeling like my throat was swelling closed. I was panicky! Both were bad decisions on my part!!

1 Like

Gosh your recovery sounds rough, I’m so glad to hear that you got there in the end. Its interesting this eagle syndrome as it is so individual. That is really good advice re surgery though. I can relate there, i was back at the gym attending high intensity fitness classes 3 weeks after a c section! Not good. That was ten years ago, so hopefully Ive learned by now that the body does need to heal.

I’ve decided to go ahead with the surgery. I got through to Mr Curry’s secretary, she was so lovely and helpful. It was to see if I could get a second opinion. It wasn’t possible as I’m out of the catchment. She assured me that the surgeons at the Queen Elizabeth hospital here in Glasgow are top of their game. Plus the robot is very precise. It eased my mind a bit.

I’ll keep everyone posted as to how it goes, just awaiting the actual date of it now. Dr said 1-3 months

Thanks again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

would love to hear how it goes in Glasgow, my surgeon in Aberdeen has only done 1 op on ES and it wasnt successful. Looking for recomendations to go elsewhere, Scotland preferably, if I travel to London, I will have to go private I guess. Mine is like an electric shock to the jaw, brought on by even a yawn, or eating any food on right side. Controlling pain with Carbazamine which seems to work, but concerned that this just masks the pain and further damage may be caused if it is left. They say 80% success rate with surgery in London, but not sure how to go about a referral, Hope all goes well for you

1 Like

How awful for you to have to go through that, sorry your surgery was unsuccessful. I’ll keep you posted how things go. Im happy they are using the high tech robot TORS for mine. However the surgeon has never done this before so I’m nervous, he seems a little clueless about eagles, I’m hoping I’m wrong there with that assumption.
I did hear that the surgeons at queens Elizabeth Glasgow are top of their field, so that’s also reassuring. It shouldn’t be long now perhaps 1-3 months.

2 Likes

Today I went to a “reconnecting for resilience” workshop. Ironically, It spoke of the symptoms and terminology in this post. Isaiah I declare you could have been the facilitator!

During my ES experience I had impromptu sweats before, but mainly after, surgery. The last one that I had before surgery is the one that landed me in ICU.

Since anxiety is a lingering symptom for me, attending the workshop gave me a mountain of hope!

##prayingforusALL.

3 Likes

There’s no better teacher than experience, @Blessu2! :blush:

1 Like

I think for private appts you need to get your GP to refer you still, that shouldn’t be ab problem… @Hema has just seen Mr Hughes so you could look at her posts, and @PatientD has posted lots of info about him. I think you’re wise to seek a second opinion rather than opt for surgery with your local doctor as they’ve only done one surgery, it can be a tricky op! Would be nice if you didn’t have to pay though!

1 Like

Thank you Jules for the advice, I am so worried about this and dont want to offend my surgeon here by going elsewhere, but she was candid enough to admit how risky the surgery was and that she had only done one before, it is a rare syndrome and seems to affect everyone differently. Still trying to get the courage to proceed with surgery, but guess it is the only solution to get rid of the pain, Hope everyone on the forum finds a solution, its a nightmare to live with this, hugs to all

1 Like

Mr Hughes did not insist on GP referral letter & patients can book slot online. Agree some consultants do insist on referral letter first. D

1 Like

@Haddo - I think it’s even more important for you to see an experienced ES surgeon since you noted the one surgery your doctor has did was not successful.

Lack of success can be due to not enough styloid being removed, the cut tip which is left behind not being smoothed off, undiscovered vascular compression which isn’t dealt with, calcified stylohyoid ligaments which are left intact instead of being removed & other possibilities. We have also found that some members who have bilateral ES feel they don’t have great recoveries after the first surgery because symptoms remain. It’s easy in those cases to assume surgery was worthless when in actuality the remaining symptoms come from the styloid that’s still in place. Once both are removed much more significant recovery is realized.

1 Like