Help Understanding my Scan Results

It sounds as though the styloid processes are compressing the internal jugular veins both sides, worse on the left side, so you have vascular ES. It can cause pulsatile tinnitus, headaches (especially after laying flat), dizziness, off-balance feeling. When the veins are compressed, the blood gets pumped into your brain okay, but because the veins are compressed it can’t flow away from the brain as well, so the pressure builds up inside your head, causing the symptoms I’ve mentioned. I had this, & had great results with surgery, although a few members have found the veins don’t re-open properly, so occasionally they can be re-inflated with a balloon or could need stents putting in.
It mentions in the report that there’s compression immediately below the skull base, which means that to have good results the styloids would need to be removed right back to skull base, which I don’t think Dr Cognetti always does. So if you do see him, you would need to ask him about that- if he leaves a small amount of the styloid process, it could still compress the vein there & you could still have some symptoms. He is very experienced, & many members have had successful surgeries with him, but as you want the best results possible from surgery, it’s worth checking.
Here’s a link to the doctors list:
US Doctors Familiar With ES, Current List - Symptoms and Treatments / Doctor Information - Living with Eagle
Dr Jason Newman is also in PA, I think he takes the styloid right back to skull base, so it might be worth seeing him for another opinion? He’s also done surgeries on members.
I hope this helps!

2 Likes