Here we go...I have a surgery date!

You wouldn’t be human if you didn’t feel scared about the surgery, all of us do! Certainly from my point of view, it was noting like as bad as I was expecting, & I worried over nothing… I hope the fact that alot of us have gone on to have the second side done is a testament to that, & that the surgery is generally sucessful, especially if done with an experienced surgeon, which yours will be.
There’s lots of info all about ES surgery & what to expect in the Newbies Guide section, plus lots have posted their post-op surgery stories so have a search using the magnifying glass icon top right of the page. Here’s one to get you started: Are there any saxophonist or wind musicians out there?
As for the pain relief, talk that through with Dr Cognetti, as there are other options which might not affect you. Once I was home (the next day) I found paracetemol was enough, but obviously this varies, maybe extra-strength tylenol will be enough for you, although you don’t want to be in pain for the journey home.
I know alot of members have flown & had long journeys home, travelling for that long is not ideal, but that’s the downside of seeing an experienced surgeon… Being airsick would definitely be bad! If you can have some pillows to keep you comfy, break the journey up- your hubby will need rest breaks anyway presumably etc. One thing which might be difficult is eating, often people find chewing or opeining their mouth difficult, so have smoothies ready for the journey as you might not be able to get that when you stop? (I’m UK so I know you can easily buy ready made bottles & protein/ milk shake drinks, don’t know about US?)
As for supplements, I took a B group vitamin supplement for nerve repair, don’t know if it helped or not!
I can’t help with the insurance issue, but hopefully someone else will be able to.
Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to, & don’t hesitate to bring your worries here, we all understand!
Best wishes!

1 Like