Surgery coming up

Hi everyone. I have my pre opp appointment next week. Of course, now I’m starting to have doubts. Do I really need this? My symptoms are fairly well controlled with the medications, but when I’m not on them I feel pretty bad. Definitely having way more neck stiffness and headaches and I’ve only been off of them for three days. (I’ve stopped both flexeril and plavix this week since I am out of refills and need to stop before surgery anyway.)

Is this kind of doubt normal? I feel like it’s just my anxieties surrounding all medical procedures etc.m, trying to talk myself out of it. I’ve never been under general anesthesia but somehow, this scares me less than the angiogram I had about a year ago. I won’t be awake for this at least. I’m mainly worried about recovery and potentially making the problem worse somehow. I’m also superficially now more worried about scarring or nerve damage and looking “ugly.” I know, kinda petty.

Does anyone have any advice or a pep talk? Any advice for things I can do pre surgery to get in the right mindset and prepare my body? I’m just struggling with the doubts. I hope I can discuss my hesitations at the pre op appointment?

I think doubt/anxiety is normal before any procedure. Are you getting intraoral or external surgery? Initially it may feel like some symptoms are words, while others may disappear completely. I would also advise for either internal or external s

2 Likes

I thought of it this way before my surgery: I would rather have surgery to not be on meds than take meds for the rest of my life and possibly damaging my liver. Anxiety can be controlled with deep breathing exercises, walking and a low dose of anti anxiety medication. The surgery for me was easy and I had immediate pain relief afterwards. Millions of people have anesthesia every day with no complications or issues and you have the anesthesiologist right there with you during the surgery and their only function is to monitor you during the surgery. Also, they give you a dose of Versed in pre op for anxiety. I hope you have a successful surgery and get relief. Stay strong. You can do this.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the encouragement beachlady! I was reading about your recovery and it’s so nice to hear different experiences with regards to recovery and that not everyone has a months long slog. So glad you’re feeling better!

I pretty much already have talked myself back into it because today I feel awful. I am without meds for four days now so it makes sense. I’d forgotten how bad I felt last year. My doctor did say I may need the blood thinner forever… but I won’t know until I try the surgery I guess. Ultimately, I trust him. One of my biggest fears is that I will defer/postpone it and then two years later will be so regretful that I didn’t just get it over with now.

3 Likes

Hi @anharris i think your comment may have cut off but i am having external surgery with Dr Hepworth and a surgeon from vascular institute of the Rockies on Oct. 13! How are you feeling? I remember reading about your experiences last year.

I can understand the worries- I think everyone has wobbles! Firstly, you have a very skilled surgeon so the best possible chance of being ‘cured’. The surgeons generally try to do their incision in a neck crease or behind the ear (not sure about Dr Hepworth’s method, others can help with that), so scarring is generally minimal. Feeling that bad without your meds I hope shows you just how much you need it done, whether or not you have to take some afterwards. My thinking with my 2nd surgery was that I wanted to give myself the chance to be as good as I could be, & that maybe the surgeon might move on & I might not be able to get surgery with him- the good surgeons are few & far between…So if you’ve got the chance now, good to take it! The longer you leave the styloids in, especially when nerves & blood vessels are compressed, the more damage might be done too. So that’s quite a few reasons, I hope it helps!

3 Likes

Hi Blossom! I know you must be nervous. I am a few months out now and my emotions are everywhere. I am nervous to have surgery, but I am more nervous to continue feeling the way I have been feeling for so long. I think being off the medicine and feeling worse has shown you that surgery is most likely your best bet for the best outcome. You also have Dr. Hepworth who has done many of these surgeries now with much noted success. I will be thinking about you and praying for you. You are leading the way for me. Praying for light at the end of the tunnel for you here very soon!

3 Likes

Thanks @Eagle1! I will definitely keep updating after my pre opp appointment and along the way. Im thinking of you as well! The closer it gets the more scared I have been feeling. I scheduled the surgery in the spring but wanted to have time to process, prepare and enjoy my life this summer. But you’re right, the past day and a half have reminded me why I’m here in the first place. I’m very confident in Dr. H and his abilities and experience and have to constantly remind myself he has led me down the correct path thus far. The fact that the two medications he prescribed brought me such immediate relief is a testament to his knowledge and expertise in this area. I don’t see a lot of people on here trying plavix for vascular Eagles but wow, the difference on plavix vs. off is like night and day for me. I think I was having some fantasies/wishful thinking that I’m now somehow “cured” but the reality is clearly I’m not. I even get in my head sometimes like, is this even really that bad? Is anything even wrong with me? Was I just hyper focused on my pain because of Covid and being unemployed? I think that is partially because I have been dealing with these problems for quite some time but only recently knew what was going on. Previously it had all been dismissed as anxiety, panic attacks, “migraines,” bad posture, etc. Anyway ! I am back in the state of accepting what’s to come, just had a few days where I was wavering. I saw you mention in another post you’d like to be a parent someday and I feel the same. This is something I need to at least try to solve before I take that journey. Hang in there and hopefully we both have relief coming soon.

2 Likes

Oh @Blossom, I have thought about you so often these past few weeks. I haven’t yet made a final decision for surgery, but I could have written your words here. Wondering if I really need it, wondering if it’s “all in my head” (HA!). My symptoms have been pretty controlled even without meds. But just last week they all came back for some reason. (Probably because I had been praying to know whether I need surgery or not!) And I suspect some level of dizziness/spaciness has become my “new normal” and I don’t even notice it any more. Plus I love what Jules said about about just wanting the chance to be as good as I can be. I’m 58 years old. Surgery isn’t going to get any easier as I get even older. I was just talking to my doctor brother the other day, who is not a fan of my having surgery just because he’s not familiar with it, and he is very suspicious of anything he doesn’t know a lot about. I told him you are having surgery in October, and I’ll be watching closely to see how it goes. And then I will totally want to do it because we will all hear how great it went and how happy you are to finally have all of this behind you!

3 Likes

Hi Bopper,

I was 58 when I had both of my ES surgeries (2014 & 2015). I have no regrets. It’s one of the best decisions I’ve made at this stage in my life. I hope you continue to move forward to putting ES behind you. You’re seeing one of the BEST doctors on our list. Surgery will change your life in a positive way. :heart:

2 Likes

blossom,

It’s been quite the journey for you. I’m glad you’ve stuck with your decision. Having your styloid(s) removed should help you so much! I’m praying for you to notice immediate improvement when you awaken from surgery. :hugs:

2 Likes

Blossom
I think you should go for it
I have done many things that have tested my strength and courage over the years,from parachuting to motor cycle racing
Recently we kayaked over a couple of weirs,once committed to weir,there was no going back as the current was too strong, so we had only less than a couple of minutes to get ready for the vertical drop.
Having watched a few kayak/weir failures on you tube,we had an idea of what could go wrong,but being the optimistic person that I am…what could go wrong??
We nailed it
And will be the same for you.!
Sometimes,if we think over things too much,we talk ourselves out of it.
I am desperate for surgeries and even I will have my doubts when,if :rofl::rofl::rofl: my time comes,is normal reaction.
But if u 100% dib out, could I go in your place,:rofl:
But you won’t dib out :muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle:
Have to shave my beard off and that’s not a thing I want to do around this time of year as it’s getting cold

4 Likes

Rather you than me- kayaking over a weir that is, not shaving the beard :joy:

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for the support. It’s really helping me!!!

Saturday I went for a bike ride and I was extremely dizzy, my head was pounding and I had bad pulsatile tinnitus. I hadn’t had that at all on plavix and I’d forgotten how bad it was even with just mild exercise. Definitely helped solidify my decision that I need to move forward with surgery. My pre op appointment is Tuesday so that’s the next hurdle.

I’ve read over the surgery list and have a good list of items I’m going to get before I go in, but does anyone have any other specific recs? I have a wedge pillow but wondering if there are other pillows anyone else has found helpful.

3 Likes

U or V shaped pillows have been helpful for many of our members as that helps stabilize your neck when you sleep so you don’t end up in an awkward position that causes more pain. I also put bed pillows on top of my wedge pillow to increase the angle to close to 30° which feels like sleeping almost sitting up but did help a lot to reduce post op swelling in my throat. I needed to sleep with my head elevated for about 6 weeks post op but some of our members have only needed that for a few days after surgery. It does take some getting used to.

You didn’t mention ice packs, but since you’re athletic, I assume you already have a few. If not, I recommend covered gel packs - at least 3. Maybe get one that can be heated or frozen in case warm feels better as you heal. That has been the case for a few members.

Also the anti-constipation meds of your choice. “Clogged plumbing” is not a nice addition to surgical recovery.

2 Likes

Since taking small amounts of cannabis :flushed: I have cut down so much on prescribed poisoning opiates,also my mood has improved ,not so depressed,and I can go off on evening bike rides,seems like I have a more usable body after I take some…
This is also better for my family,as I am not so moody.
It is only a small amount, the dude was right.
I am going to start a war ,only so I can grow my hair and then protest against it like a proper hippie does.
This is not the first time dabbling with weed.
I don’t want to cross the line by pushing this on anyone,but it may be worth considering,or even trying , especially if you are lucky enough to be in the part of the world who recognise weed as a medication and not a past time for hairy drop out
After a day driving or working on quarry machinery or a truck ,my head feels like it weighs 1/2 a ton, a small bit of weed I am back active again with a head that seems to be of normal weight.CND✌️ peace people.

Just to o prove I did the Weir and I am busting my ass on big boys toys
You will ride again your bike after the op better than ever ,sure u will

4 Likes

Not sure what happened with my comment :laughing: but I hope everything goes well for you! I am doing much better - healed from all surgery related symptoms and back on the ice full time.
As for other pillows, a nursing pillow was helpful after surgery to stabilize my neck without being tight around the incision like a travel pillow would. Also having extra pillows under my legs to prevent blood pooling was immensely helpful.

4 Likes

That’s great @anharris! This is helpful. I have a travel neck pillow but it’s not that comfy and I was also thinking that it might be too tight. I’m probably going to buy one of those huge pregnancy pillows to use in conjunction with the wedge I already have. Comfortably sleeping and eating are my two biggest concerns so I’d rather be over prepared than under.

@anon22211586 thank you for the encouragement! I also use cannabis for my pain (helps me relax as well) and I find it to be really helpful without side effects that many other drugs have. Glad it’s helping you!!

4 Likes

Soft foods, smoothie ingredients & blender etc along with the pillows. I used the V shaped pillow for quite a while as I found it really helpful.
Not good that you felt so rough after biking, but good that it’s helped remind you why you need the surgery :hugs:

2 Likes

You certainly have diverse hobbies, optimistic! One you get paid for & the others help you unwind from the paid one. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sure would have loved to have been on the kayak trip with you two (except for the weirs :scream:). Been over a few small waterfalls in a raft & a canoe (two different trips) many years ago. Have great memories from those.

Love your “big boy toys”. No wonder you end up with neck & shoulder pain at the end of a work day. So glad you’ve found cannabis to be helpful with pain relief & mood modification. I appreciate the advice you’ve given regarding using it.

2 Likes