How many of you have had a) tonsillectomy or b) menopause/hysterectomy?

Violin ~ I hope you’re able to get an answer soon, so you can progress in deciding about what course you need to take to begin healing. :hugs:

Curious, did the doctor treat the scar tissue somehow? Remove it? Might it grow back? Does it affect anything?

I want to learn more about internal scar tissue, because beyond a small amount required for healing, it seems potentially problematic.

Yes, the surgeon removed it. It was on my omohyoid muscle and he thinks it was from a past whiplash injury, so unless I am injured again no it shouldn’t grow back.

How interesting. This is reassuring. I’ve had injury, too.

I will say it seems how seriously a surgeon takes the vascular effects of eagle syndrome varies a lot. My surgeon usually includes a vascular surgeon in eagle surgeries and because of this, after removing my styloid, they did a venogram test to see if my vein was opened. It hadn’t fully opened, and they could see where the compression was farther down my neck, so that’s how he discovered the scar tissue was a problem. A lot of surgeons will just remove the styloid and that’s it.

1 Like

As a kid I had repetitive strep throat, tonsillectomy around age 12, then diagnosed with Hashimoto’s around the same time. I’ve dealt with headaches all my life. Around late 90s I complained about pain in left corner of jaw where the ear and jaw meet, however all they did was an ultrasound and blamed it on “you work infront of a computer”. Then when I had a sinus/upper tooth infection in 2019 everything kicked off and about 3 months after extraction, my sore throat started. Worse symptoms every since. There’s definitely a correlation between trauma in the area and the symptoms that erupted out of nowhere.

1 Like

Your observations are so true, Siren. We have many members who had basically no ES symptoms until they had some aggressive dental work down I.e. a tooth pulled or other oral surgery. Because the trigeminal nerve runs along the upper & lower gum lines, it can easily be irritated or damaged during a dental procedure. The TN is also a key player in ES pain & symptoms so once it’s upset by dental work, an elongated styloid becomes the double whammy, & “the rest is history”.