How many of you have had a) tonsillectomy or b) menopause/hysterectomy?

I have read both can cause Eagle's Syndrome. I have had both and had severe Endometriosis. With osteopenia from meds taken to control the Endo. I am curious to see if these are all connected from a surgical point or on a hormone levels and calcium levels point? Calcium intake goes hand in hand with Estrogen. Please let me know your thoughts.

I was diagnosed a month ago and am trying to connect the dots as well as find a surgeon or Dr. that has seen this more than once in their lives. Open to suggestions!

I am so thankful this site exists! I don't feel alone in all these crazy symptoms and diagnosis.

So, Thank you all for the input and the disscussions!

There's been discussions about the effects of hormones for women on their ES symptoms, and also calcium levels... there does seem to be a connection with raised calcium. The link to tonsillectomy is well known, don't know about the menopause, but have a search through the old discussions.

Mine showed up within year after tonsils removed. However I dont see how they could grow that fast, I think they were already elongated but the removal makes it easier to be felt and seen. The door that was holding the beast is removed and they shift forward much more easily. There is no explanation as to why removal would make them grow so IMHO it really isn't the cause.

I am 58, had my tonsils out when I was four. in 12 years agohad an estrogen based ovarian cancer and complete hysterectomy. my “TN” - poss eagle’s symptoms started 25 YEARS ago. so don’t have any odea if these are connected or if it really matters. had my first styloiectomy two weeks ago, blood pressure is bqck down, don’t feel like something is stuck in my neck and waiting to see if the facial pain subsides with time. promising so far.

I am 57 and menopausal for over 2 years. Had my tonsils out when I was 4. Recently had tests for parathyroid issues which control calcium. Results not back yet.

Thank you all for the updates on your medical history. It is interesting to know we all have an endocrine imbalance. Estrogen works hand in hand with calcium. So, I will be curious to see if any of our doctors will investigate this further in that direction and not so much in the trauma to the styloid area.

Again, thank you all. It so helps to keep in touch with those that are going through this like me. It has helped me, the new kid on the block, so very much.

Tonsils out as a teenager and hysterectomy at age 42. Also took calcium for osteopenia. Stopped it as soon as I was diagnosed with ES.

Good luck trying to connect the dots. I have reams of paper doing that. It worked for my information, but the drs. didn't want it. I always had 'female' problems from the time I began menstruating. Heavy flows, flows which stopped for several months (dr. even did a pg test on me when I was 16 without asking), pain during flows, mittelschmerz, tipped uterus, cysts, polyps, tumors. The only time I felt good was during my real pregnancy. I had a partial hysterectomy at 32; huge fibroid tumor. I did not take hormones. Early onset osteoporosis, white hair at 40, etc. My tonsils sloughed off when I was young, but I guess they came back as I had surgery for them during Eagles surgery.

I had my tonsils removed about 2 months ago. I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago but the Eagle syndrome was present before all of this. I’ve had issues with bad cramps, fibroid tumors, endometriosis&cyst

Thank you for your input. You are the first that has gone through similar female problems as me. I have had the cysts from the endometriosis. and with the suppressing of the estrogen to keep the endometriosis at bay it causes bone density loss and calcium problems along with the immune problems that are added with having endometriosis. I can't help but wonder that hormones or the endocrine system have something to do with the styloid process elongating. I will keep researching. in the mean time please keep me informed on what other problems you all have in the hormones and the tonsillectomies. Thank you

SweetC said:

I had my tonsils removed about 2 months ago. I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago but the Eagle syndrome was present before all of this. I've had issues with bad cramps, fibroid tumors, endometriosis&cyst

I had tonsillectomy a year ago because of swallowing issues. ENT didn’t know about ES and he suggested to remove the tonsils. Since then everything went worse. I found a (10 years)older X-Ray of my neck and my ligaments were already elongated. The removal of tonsils makes ES worse I would say ES is seen after tonsillectomy.

I had problems all of my life, with crazy hormones, etc. Hysterectomy at 33. Cysts, polyps, etc. Started developing osteoporosis early. Hair turned white at 40. Never on hormones, they gave me too many problems. I think maybe our systems were programmed to have these issues and they presented themselves at various stages, depending on us. I look back at some of my grade school medical records. I had several illnesses, sinusitis, born with a tumor, extremely bad teeth which my parents did not get fixed (money,?) several broken bones at a young age (5, 8 & 9). I went from 20/20 vision to 20/200 at age 8-9 after Chicken Pox. No one else in my family had any of these problems. And the ones I listed are only a few. I also could not tolerate milk. I seem to have spent all my life dealing with medical issues. It is a wonder I don't drink or take heavy drugs.

LaMayBe59 said:

Thank you for your input. You are the first that has gone through similar female problems as me. I have had the cysts from the endometriosis. and with the suppressing of the estrogen to keep the endometriosis at bay it causes bone density loss and calcium problems along with the immune problems that are added with having endometriosis. I can't help but wonder that hormones or the endocrine system have something to do with the styloid process elongating. I will keep researching. in the mean time please keep me informed on what other problems you all have in the hormones and the tonsillectomies. Thank you

SweetC said:

I had my tonsils removed about 2 months ago. I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago but the Eagle syndrome was present before all of this. I've had issues with bad cramps, fibroid tumors, endometriosis&cyst

I've had neither. I have had vitamin deficiencies and have read that low D and high PTH can cause calcifications.

1 Like

I had total hysterectomy and on hormone hmmm wonder will have to ask my dr if any connections. He keeps list of stuff col to see any connection!?

Hi, I have a pituitary tumor, I posted on this site for the first time last week. Reading this thread, it makes it more likely that the mass I have in my tonsil area is my styloid and is linked to my pituitary tumor and hormone levels somehow.

If anyone who has experience with this topic since these past posts I’d welcome the opportunity to hear more about what you have learnt etc.

Thanks
Sarah

I have not had a hysterectomy, but have osteopenia. I had my tonsils & adenoids removed at age 17, am now 57. Also have had Hashimoto disease - thyroid now dead. Went untreated for a verifiable 2 years but probably much longer. When my TSH level was checked, my number was 155! Normal is .04 - 4.2 or something like that! And, yes…I was walking upright and holding down 2 jobs at the time (new doctor says I should have been in a coma with those numbers). I have been taking levothyroxene for approx 3 years now. I too am suspicious that all of these things are connected. I started peri-menopause at 40 and didn’t completely and officially arrive at menopause for 10 years!!! Got whiplash in 1987 (age 28) from an auto accident and haven’t really felt good/normal since!

How all these things connect really interest me too! I had tonsils adenoids removed at 12, severe whiplash concussion at 15, wisdom teeth removed at 18. I am 41 now but have had headaches
Neck aches and tmj pains for many years been experiencing the worst symptoms since 40 which is about when peri menopause started for me.

It does seem like many people who have ES have had some sort of neck/jaw trauma be it tonsillectomy, whiplash, dental work, cervical spine injury, etc. There are also a lot who have some sort of thyroid dysfunction. Wish we could somehow link these things definitively to ES, but there just isn’t a great enough body of evidence to do it.

I’ve had most of what you mention, but not officially diagnosed with ES ((Yet?)

I still have my tonsils and do not have any hormonal issues. I’m 31. Had my right styloid out three months ago and now feel much better. However, my doctor did find scar tissue in my neck that would have been consistent with a whiplash injury.

2 Likes