Hyoid Bone Surgery

Hi Jarrod,
Firstly, have you got family to support you- it must be hard going through this at your age. And if you do feel so low you’re not able to imagine living with your current symptoms, please get help for this; talk to your family, or your doctor, and have a look in the emotional support category, as there’s numbers/ websites for organisations which can help you.
There have been a couple of members who’ve had hyoid bone surgery, some a while back, so not sure if they’re still looking at the site, but I found an older discussion, so you could try messaging those members to ask questions, here’s the link:

I do agree with Isaiah; it is very early days for recovery from surgery. I don’t know much about how different the recovery from this surgery id compared to a styloidectomy, but certainly there are quite a few muscle attachments to the hyoid bone, so there will be adjustments to make to swallow etc. I do think that you should discuss this with your doctor, and maybe physiotherapy could help, as there might be exercises you can do to strengthen the hyoid complex remaining.
I did find one research study into the same surgery, and they quoted a reference in the discussion stating the sucess rate being high, 90%. Here’s the link to the study: Clicking hyoid: A rare case report and review - PMC
I know it’s not the same surgery, but I was put off having surgery for ES after reading one member’s post a week after his surgery, where he was feeling terrible and wished he’s never had it- luckily I messaged him a month later to see how he was & he said he was much better, glad he’s had it done, & wished that he’d not posted so soon after his op. So give it time, & see if you can get some advice from your doctor.
Best wishes :hugs: