Looking for a doctor in Canada

That’s right. But under no conditions will we allow negative reviews of professionals on the public discussion board.

Seenie (the other Executive Director)

1 Like

Those mornings when I wake up feeling “relatively OK-ish”, I promise myself that if “I make it through”, I’ll start some serious initiative to introduce ground-shaking changes into Canadian medical system.

Though after a few minutes I remember all the “nuances”, complexity and challenges of the current healthcare system, and start doubting if I woke up feeling really “OK-ish”, or that was just a dream, an illusion…

1 Like

Any possibility of a move to the US, @vdm :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:?!

With all the seriousness, I keep filling out the green card lottery forms every year, but so far no luck… So who knows. maybe!

WOW! I didn’t know it comes down to a lottery for a green card! Freedom to move from one country to another must be a thing of the past, but I know you want to be able to work & that’s where the green card comes in.

1 Like

I phoned their clinic several times over a year and asked about eagles syndrome surgery- was told they were not accepting patients with this condition.

I’m sorry to hear that. Seems they need to diversify a bit, eh?!

yes definitely. I think doctors here are mad at me for questioning the status quo … but really it needs to be done

I am quite close to going to mexico for a combined styloidectomy and neck fusion. frustrating thing is that there are publications of the procedure here but not many that actually perform it for patients

That’s really sad for you that there is documentation, but you can’t access the doctors who do those surgeries. We have a couple of members who have gone to Mexico for ES surgery. One was from BC. She had her styloids & both pterygoid hamulus bones (located in the roof of the mouth) removed while there. She did ok for a few months after she got home but seemed to have some other unidentified major health issues which the Canadian health system didn’t help her identify, & sadly, she passed away a couple of years later.

The other member who went to Mexico was from Arizona. Both saw the same doctor. We never got follow-up posts from the Arizona member so I don’t know how well the surgery helped him.

Both of them went to the doctor whose name is on our list for Mexico.

@bmcdiddie , I’m not a doctor but from all the information that I have gathered so far… neck or lower spinal fusion usually is a temporary solution until the levels above and below get affected by overcompensating lack of movement after the surgery, and needs to be fused too.
If the disc is totally worn out and nerves are badly affected to the level that disc removal is unavoidable, I’d suggest you to think of MobiC or similar disc replacement alternatives instead of fusion.

https://www.cervicaldisc.com/about-mobi-c

https://www.zimmerbiomet.com/en/products-and-solutions/specialties/spine/mobi-c-cervical-disc.html:

The rate of clinically relevant adjacent segment degeneration at the:

• Inferior adjacent level was 22.2% for Mobi-C compared to 40.7% for ACDF.
  • Superior adjacent level was 13.3% for Mobi-C compared to 27.9% for ACDF.

Upd: OK, not “usually”, but “30-40% after 48 months (4 years)”

thank you, I have looked into disc replacement as well. I was talking with a medical doctor last week who recommended fusion over artificial disc, and then heard artificial disc over fusion from someone else at the same clinic. it is hard to know what exactly is the right solution - but yes you are correct, levels above and below start to have problems. I was born with a partially congenital fusion and funny enough it is the levels above and below showing compression. ideally I would like to start with getting the styloids out first and see what symptoms are left over

2 Likes

Your plan sounds good bmcdiddie. Styloids first. Elongated styloids can throw neck alignment out & cause all sorts of pain & problems that do resolve over time once the styloids are gone. I continue to pray you’ll be able to see a surgeon who will expedite this process for you. You’re in a “no man’s land” right now which is a terrible place to be.

Canada is dropping the ball on healthcare. you are right - truly a no man’s land, and the worse part are surgeons and healthcare professionals playing mind games with patients by minimizing their concerns, forcing them to go round and round in circles and waiting 6-8 months at a time between appointments. it is both inhumane and demoralizing, every day I wake up to 8/10 pain. my family doctor knows hospitals and surgeons are playing games with me too

2 Likes

From what I heard, fusion is more time-tested around the world, but the most important thing is that artificial discs are relatively rare and “new” thing here, in Canada (well, because they are more expensive than fusion, needs more expertise and in general, might be considered a “posh” thing over the fusion). How “universal” public healthcare could justify its universality if one person gets fusion and loses some mobility while another gets disc replacement and preserves mobility…

2 Likes

Do you need a referral to see Dr. O’Connell?

yes, I did get one - sorry for the late response. If your dr ordered the ct scan showing elongated styloids then they just send the referral letter to him. I didn’t need to wait long for the consultation but the surgery waiting time was 6 months but hopefully the wait time is not as long as it was during covid

2 Likes

I was in Mexico for 6 months when my SCM neck muscle started to hurt and got swollen. thought it was thyroid so got a CT scan with contrast and the only thing listed in description was ES 5.5 mm on right side. took it with me to Canada they would not accept it and sent me for another one. other than no reason for pain no mentioning of ES. my ENT called the radiologist and got an answer: oh yes, i saw it. saw two ENTs who rather say don’t touch it since nobody knows what to do with it and so it can get worse. i get it but i think i had a mini stroke 20 years ago so would like at least to know if the styloid compresses on my aorta. any suggestions???

A CT with contrast would show if the styloid is compressing the carotid artery- it’s very rare but this could potentially cause a stroke. If this is worrying you, that would be the best way to find out.

1 Like

Adding to Jules comment, sometimes the scans need to be done “dynamically” i.e. with your head in different positions as your styloid might not affect your carotid artery with your head in neutral (normal scan position) but might compress it when your head is turned right/left, looking up/down or diagonally left/right, up/down. We’ve heard from other Canadian members that doctors in Canada are reluctant to request dynamic scans so it may be a battle you need to fight to get a referral for that. A dynamic angiogram is more invasive but would be another approach to look for internal carotid artery (ICA) compression.

thank you Jules