Made it to California - Surgery on Monday -- and Follow up

Hi Guys,

I made it to Cali! Yesterday I had my pre-op and met Dr. Samji in person. He was very reassuring and I think he is very trustworthy. When I came in, Lynyrd Skynyrd’s song Free Bird was playing at the reception, one of my favorite. Maybe that’s a good sign … Hopefully he’ll get me there again. The OP is on Monday morning at approximately 8 a.m. PST If you want, you are welcome to think of me and send positive energy across. I would be glad!

I also met @Isaiah_40_31 and we had such a wonderful day in Los Gatos and the Redwoods. It’s a very beautiful area here. Thank you so much again!

Best regards

7 Likes

Good luck! I’m almost one month out from my right side and doing quite well!! I’ll be sending prayers your way!!!

4 Likes

Hey Dude,

So glad you made it to Los Gatos. Although I had surgery and not feeling great, I looked at it as a little vacation. The downtown area is so pleasant to walk in and good food places too! Of course it helps to have Isaiah as a tour guide too! She is the best! Hope your surgery goes well for you on Monday. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

6 Likes

Awww…y’all are too kind. I love being able to help/support you whether online or in person. :hugs:

4 Likes

I hope that all goes well for you, will be thinking of you & praying for you!

2 Likes

Hi my friends,

Surgery is over and I’m back at the hotel right now. I’m doing good so far. Recovery score was 10/10 after surgery, that’s very good they said.

They are very professional at the surgery center and very reassuring. Was a good experience so far!

Didn’t talk to Dr Samji yet, but as it feels everything should be fine. No neurological deficiencies I would say, exept the skin nerves at the incision but that’s normal and not a big deal.

Thank you very much for your support! I’ll keep you update…

Best regards

9 Likes

Glad to hear it went well. Please keep those of us gearing up for Surgery updated on your recovery. Recover well. Rest and have a strong recovery. Hope you are symptom free now. It’s always a joy to hear when it goes well. Now Recover fully and we’ll get the daily double!

3 Likes

Glad that you’re safely through surgery! Hope that you heal well!

2 Likes

Sending good vibes and prayers!

1 Like

Removed the top layer of wound covering today, as I was told.
Thinking that the incision looks damn good. No big swelling as I had after the two previous surgeries in Europe. Pain is under control too.

Thank you again for all your prayers, healing energy and positive vibes! :v:

3 Likes

Looks good so far! :pray:

1 Like

Dude,
your incision looks great! I am glad you are recovering well and swelling under control. I found the surgery center people to be great as well.
I found I had alot of numbness in the neck area generally but it wasnt bothersome. Id rather be numb than in pain. 5mths out and Im still dealing with some numbness which is very slowly coming back and defrosting. I think about 1 month out, I started working on the scar tissue. I hope your post-op goes well today and travels home are uneventful.

3 Likes

This is wonderful news! I’m so glad you’re doing well!

1 Like

So happy that your surgery went well. Keep up with the icing. Dr. Samji is a great surgeon. Listen to your body and rest when you need to. Sending lots of positive vibes and prayers.

2 Likes

Hi,

I’m back at home since Sunday last week and about 3 weeks after surgery yet. Was a nice flight but still exhausting. I wished we could have stayed longer. Liked it in California.
I’m still recovering well, pain is some times more some times less but luckily very bearable. Some symptoms which I had connected to jugular vein compression improved already significantly. Now I’m still dealing with heavy muscle tension around the incision and blockings of upper cervical spine. This was described by Dr Samji in advance and I’m doing some careful stretching . I have to wait 3 more weeks before visiting my osteopaths again.

Yesterday evening it felt quite good and free on the operated side and somehow narrow on the right side, where some thick styloid rest is still left behind by European surgeons. Maybe I have to go for the other side again. We will see…

Hopefully pain and muscle tension will improve further over time but I’m thinking the jugular decompression was already worth it and very important.

For those who suffer longer after surgery: Please don’t let this disencourage you. I had previous surgeries and there was much more and longer pain afterwards. It improves over time. Now it is maybe not that bad because of present unsensitive scar tissue due to previous surgeries.

Thank you all and especially @Isaiah_40_31, who supported us so unbelievable fantastic locally, very much again! I owe a large part of the good progress to you.

3 Likes

@TheDude,

It was my pleasure to be here for you. It was wonderful to meet you face to face! I look forward to your return someday, whether for surgery or as a visitor to the US (but preferably as a visitor)!

I hope your osteopath is able to help you resolve the muscle tension permanently and that the other side of your neck will relax, too. It would be great if you didn’t need another surgery.

:hugs:

1 Like

Pleased to hear that the vascular symptoms have improved, hopefully you’ll see more pain- less days! I’m glad that you feel the travelling was worth it!

1 Like

Glad you made it and feeling better @TheDude
Would you mind sharing with us what vascular symptoms the surgery resolved?..

1 Like

Hi vdm,

No problem. The first thing I noticed that I felt better in general after surgery than before. Sickness and choking, which became worse due to traveling, are significantly improved.
(Btw: I connected the ribbons of my mask at the back of my head for the train ride to airport to relieve my ears from tension. That wasn’t a good idea and I changed it quickly, because the pressure around my head caused heavy additional sickness and choking.)

My sleep is much better now. The dizziness and tinnitus are improving quickly. I’m also noticing no occasional strange visual effects at the edges in my field of view as it was before surgery even though the ophthalmologist hadn’t any findings. Furthermore the ability for concentration improved and e.g. sitting in a restaurant and talking to friends even in a different language is much easier and not that exhausting as it was before surgery. I could only do this for an hour or two and then having much more symptoms afterwards.

Hopefully muscle tension and (neuropathic) pain dissolve quickly, but I can’t complain at all. I am confident that I will be all right again soon.

6 Likes

How wonderful for you. It sounds as if it has been a long journey. Your recovery is encouraging and I wish you better days ahead.

4 Likes