Most Likely a Long Time Sufferer of ES, Anyone Else? Plus Rant

Hi Siren!

You’ve come to the right place for answers! I’m sorry for all you’ve been through, but it does seem the way many of our members have been treated. Some of your symptoms are ones we associate with compression, most likely of the internal jugular vein (IJV) i.e. feeling like you’re going to pass out when going from squatting to standing (POTS), headaches, vertigo, feeling faint while sitting at your desk, & ear pressure. You may find these symptoms are worse when you head is in certain positions - turned right or left, looking up or down or in either direction diagonally. There are many discussions on here about vascular ES including some w/ complex scientific explanations of the physical mechanics of what’s going on. Here are two links that Jules posted several years ago w/ a basic explanation of ES symptoms & their causes that will be helpful for you: ES Information: Background, Anatomy, Styloid Length, Angulation, Classic and Vascular
ES Information: Common Symptoms And Possible Explanations For Them

Sadly, you live in a country where we have many members who are in the same position as you - had symptoms for years, saw many doctors & were told they were healthy or given lame excuses for their symptoms & passed by or passed on to someone else, but never offered a viable explanation or help. Since COVID, because of the exceedingly long wait times for surgery in Canada, more of our Canadian members have been coming to the US for surgery.

I’m not sure there’s any way to hold a practitioner accountable due to ignorance of a rare condition, however, my personal opinion is that any good doctor who doesn’t have an answer should not be dismissive & should be willing to do the work to help a patient w/ a “mystery” illness dig around for a diagnosis until one is found. I think due to the way our medical systems are changing, we’ve lost the personal care that doctors used to give their patients. Medicine has become more mechanized/computerized & impersonal, & in some cases, almost a conveyor belt industry - pushing patients through one after the other w/ very short appts. & little time to discuss concerns. It’s quite unfortunate.

I know others will join this conversation. Just you wait!! You’ll get some great input, information & further support. :hugs:

1 Like