New ES diagnosis Questions Surgery in 3 1/2 weeks!

Hopefully most of your symptoms will improve after surgery, you certainly have mighty long styloids! Having one side done & then the other later is something that most doctors do, be prepared that your second side symptoms will still be there and might ramp up a bit, that does seem to be quite common, unfortunately…and sometimes members have bizarrely had cross-over symptoms!
I had the fullness feeling in my ears, dizziness and balance issues, painful to chew, difficulty sleeping; these all improved with surgery. I had alot of facial nerve pain which has improved but hasn’t gone completely. I didn’t have the more common feeling of being strangled/ difficulty swallowing etc, but these do usually improve.
Some of your other symptoms could be vagus nerve related, so hopefully if the styloids are irritating the vagus nerve this will get better too!
You can search for ‘success stories’, it’ll come up with lots for you to encourage you! You could also search for what to expect after surgery, which should be helpful too. There’s info in the Newbies Guide Section about surgery as well, here’s a link:
ES Information- Treatment: Surgery - Welcome / Newbies Guide to Eagle Syndrome - Living with Eagle
And a surgery shopping list one of our members suggested:
Surgery shopping list - General - Living with Eagle
Recovery does vary, so bear that in mind, as does pain after surgery. I was fine with paracetamol after the first couple of days, but it’s more common to need stronger painkillers, so make sure you ask for that. (& get some laxatives too, as you don’t want to be constipated which these meds can cause!). Steroids can help with swelling- regular icing the area & sleeping propped up will help with swelling. Not all doctors do prescribe them though, I can’t remember if Dr Cognetti does. It’s worth getting a wedge pillow to help with sleeping propped up, & obvs ice packs.
I couldn’t drive comfortably for about 3 weeks after my first surgery, it was too uncomfortable & my neck was stiff to turn my head. It was easier after my second surgery though!
Let us know when you have a date for surgery!

1 Like