Surgery shopping list

Here is a simple shopping list for pure-surgery:

Wedge pillow
2-3 Icepacks (I put mine in a pillow case that was thin enough to feel the cold and long enough to wrap around my neck)
Neck pillow
Puréed soup
Muscle milk
Vanilla yogurt
Popsicles
Throat lozenges
Throat soothing tea

Good books, magazines, music, movies

Mederma for scar repair and has sunscreen too

I Hope this helps future surgery members

Feel free to add your favorite items to the list

Seamom

11 Likes

Thanks seamom! I’d add a v-shaped orthopaedic pillow so it takes the pressure off the sides of your neck, and a blender/ juicer so you can zap your fave foods if swallowing or chewing is difficult.
And also some sort of healing/ massage oil- Bio-oil or something like that- to massage the scar later on.

1 Like

So is the external surgery really bad on the throat afterwards? as in swallowing etc.

Thanks for sharing, seamom!

With my first surgery I found it was uncomfortable to open my mouth too wide and to chew a lot, so I had smoothies and soft foods for the first week. The second surgery was fine though and no probs at all eating etc. It’s not painful in the throat at all- more jaw movements, but it does vary.

Intraoral surgery is what makes the throat very sore. External surgery less so but you still get swelling in your throat. Oral steroids are often prescribed for post op swelling control, but I only had to take them for about a week.

As for my 2 experiences with external surgeries, I had Styloid surgery that had grown into my mouth and so I think that the removal (pulling out) of the bones caused soreness as did the swelling which is why my dr prescribed steroids post op and I found soothing drinkable food (smoothies, muscle milk etc) to feel good for the first few days. Also my jaw was sore from anesthesia. While I could chew soft food easily with both surgeries, chewing tough good felt uncomfortable

As for the lotion/ oil Jules added, my doctor recommended Mederma scar and sunscreen lotion daily for the next 6 months

I never said that it was really bad…it felt like a sore throat [from the anesthesia and slight swelling] and I felt relief by drink and eating cool items. I happened to have my Styloids sticking into my throat so perhaps that made my throat slightly sorer than other people would experience, but it wasn’t horrible - it was just sore.

Hi Jules and anyone else who’s had surgery/has recommendations re PILLOWS…

I’m starting to surgery prep and my first goal is pillows.

Re wedge pillows: this might be a silly question, but is there a particular angle of wedge that’s recommended? I imagine it’s influenced by personal preference as well … there are so many options so thought I’d check in with the group. I might start sleeping with it now to see if it helps some of the vascular/IJV compression symptoms.

Any chance you recommend a particular brand for wedge or v-shaped orthopedic pillows?

Thanks everyone!

1 Like

The recommendation by Dr. Samji who did my surgery was to sleep w/ 30º head elevation for a few days to weeks post op as this helps reduce throat & neck swelling. I bought a wedge pillow for $25 from Bed Bath & Beyond then put bed pillows on it both to elevate it further & to make it more comfortable. Costco is currently selling a memory foam wedge pillow that has a steeper angle than the BB & B wedge & might be more comfy, too. It’s about $40. Amazon sells wedged pillows some of which are adjustable. @Snapple2020 got hers from Amazon & really liked its adjustability but it is pricier. It might have been this one: Amazon.com

Sleeping w/ your head elevated now should help reduce your vascular symptoms. Others w/ VES have noted that head elevation both helped them sleep better & feel better when they awoke in the morning. I’d recommend you start w/ a lower angle & work your way up to the 30º as that almost feels like you’re sleeping sitting up. It took me awhile to get used to it.

1 Like

Although these are pricy, Im happy I purchased it. They have different angles and I chose the GERD pillow as it is higher head elevation as well as an opening for my shoulder (rotator cuff issues). It was kind of hitting 3 birds with one stone for me. Ive had it for 2 years. My son recently had sinus surgery and has been using it successfully.

4 Likes

Thank you for correcting me @Snapple2020. I must have been thinking you got one of the wedge pillows in the link I posted even though it wasn’t in one of your posts.

Thanks so much for the specific recommendations! I’ve been trying to sleep at a bit of an incline but I think a proper wedge pillow would be helpful. And I love the suggestion of getting used to it incrementally so I’m more accustomed to sleeping/resting that way before surgery, especially since it will likely ameliorate (fingers crossed) the VES symptoms. Everything feels pretty overwhelming right now because the pain is at its worst.

I’m so grateful for the support of this community : )

2 Likes

Wow, this looks amazing; thank you for including the link.

I will definitely add it to my list. It’s more than I was hoping to spend, but if it’s helpful and brings symptom alleviation/relief, it is probably worth it. Especially since I need right and left styloidectomies and I’m doing them one at at a time.

Thanks so much!

2 Likes

I hope whichever wedge pillow you choose helps you tremendously, @KimberlyNYC.

1 Like

I got one of those, too. Between my vascular Eagles, my bad shoulder and my GERD, it has been great! I waited for it to be on sale. I cut up an old sheet to make pillowcases for it, as the covers looked like they would be hard to take off and put back on. I got the one with the body pillow, even with a loose pillowcase, it’s still hard to do.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing… great information… thank you for the research also.

2 Likes

I’m so glad you’ve gotten such good use from your pillow.

Which one did you get? The one from Amazon or the MedCline?

Thank u for this list! We are waiting to see Dr. Annino right now. His NP- Mahala will see us first. I am praying we can schedule surgery for the very near future. It is cold in Boston right now- but so far, our experience has been good.

1 Like

I got the MedCline one, I waited for it to be on sale.

1 Like