New here!

I was recently diagnosed with Eagle’s Syndrome after feeling the styloid process protruding into my left tonsilar fossa. The ENT I saw was quite shocked at how prominent it was, but thankfully gave me the diagnosis right away. He treated me first with Ibuprofen and then with steroids which reduced inflammation, but didn’t help my symptoms. He told me that he did not have much experience with this and referred me to a head and neck, otolaryngologist that is known to be highly skilled. I meet him tomorrow. The ENT said my styloid is bent inwards, which he’s never seen. My symptoms started over two years ago (at least), however at that time I had no idea they were related. They are getting worse as time progresses. The ENT did tell me that it’s close to my carotid artery. The CT scan did not measure the lengths, so I am hoping the new doctor will order better test.
My symptoms have been: tinnitus, ear pain, ears clogged and popping, general jaw aches, stabbing pain in left jaw, pain and pressure behind eyeballs, vision problems involving focus and blurriness, facial numbness, dizziness, heart beat issues, stiff neck, pain in left side of neck, headaches, shoulder pain, pain in left arm, shooting pains in left side of throat where the styloid is and recently on then right side as well, burning sensation in tongue, difficulty swallowing, and random electrical sensations.
I just thought I would share, as reading others stories had been so helpful to me. This is such a strange thing to deal with and I’m looking forward to getting some relief.

1 Like

Welcome to this wonderful forum pinkeagle! YUP! You’ve got all the right symptoms (plus a diagnosis!). Surgery is your best option for recovery. I always vote for external surgery as the styloid(s) can usually be removed at the skull base that way which very much decreases the probability of regrowth. It does sound like you have bilateral ES based on your double sided symptoms. Did your ENT tell you if (s)he saw it on both sides?

The best way you can determine if you have vascular impingement is by having a CT scan w/ contrast. As far as styloid length goes, if your first scan was done properly, a radiologist should be able to measure them.

Thank you for sharing your symptoms so thoroughly. I hope you get some good support & help from the head & neck otolaryngologist tomorrow! Please keep us posted.

:slight_smile: