New research for headache sufferers

The professor doing this research is lovely and well-respected. I wanted to share this in case it helps any of you. I’m happy to share what I’ve learned in case I might help some of you:

I’m so square and drug-free --don’t even drink alcohol–but the research on
psilocybin and neuropathic pain is very compelling. This substance is still illegal almost everyplace–I think in all but 3 states in the U.S…

Here are a few papers re: neuropathic pain:

“Inflammatory response Studies by Nichols et al. suggest the antiinflammatory potential of psychedelics. Activation of 5-HT2A results in a cascade of signal transduction processes, which result in inhibition of tumor necrosis factor (TNF). TNF is an important mediator in various inflammatory, infectious, and malignant conditions. Neuroinflammation is considered to play a key role in the development of chronic neuropathic pain conditions. Research has shown an association between TNF and neuropathic pain. Therefore, the inhibition of TNF may be a contributing factor to the longterm analgesic effects of psychedelics.”

-https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Tim-Willegers/publication/366850488_Are_psychedelics_the_answer_to_chronic_pain_a_review_of_current_literature/links/63c7e6aae922c50e99a31703/Are-psychedelics-the-answer-to-chronic-pain-A-review-of-current-literature.pdf

In mice, “psilocybin reversed mechanical and cold hypersensitivity for up to 14 days”
-Effect Of Hallucinogenic And Non-Hallucinogenic Psychedelic Analogs On Chronic Neuropathic Pain In Mice - ScienceDirect

And here’s a recent public radio program about legalization of this treatment.

3 Likes