No diagnosis yet

@ThatBroJoe ~ I’m sorry to say this, but it sounds like to me like you’re “beating a dead horse” by having yet another tonsillectomy since the others didn’t help. Have you gotten a CT scan of your neck from hyoid to skull base to look at your styloids, stylohyoid & stylomandibular ligaments? Your symptoms seem more related to nerve irritation like ES causes than tonsil related. That said, I’m not a doctor so that’s my opinion & has no medical basis. It seems to me that ruling out ES before you have another tonsil surgery would be a good idea. Just might save you from another unnecessary surgery.

Wouldn’t the nerve block shot be a step to ruling out ES? And yes they have CT scanned me and my styloids don’t seem to be at all abnormal. My one doctor mentioned my symptoms have been common with people who have had a tonsillectomy which causes the lingual tonsils to over compensate, which in turn makes them irritated. I might be “beating a dead horse” but I’m in between jobs right now and it’s the best time for me to have a surgery done. I don’t know what else to do. But, thank you for the worry

Nerve blocks don’t always help, ES or not…some doctors use the lidocaine/ steroid shots to diagnose ES , but that’s not reliable either! Did you ever reach out to Dr Cognetti? You mentioned in an earlier post that you might try that, or did you not given your CT report?
I’ll make a note of your surgery date & will pray that it goes well & helps your symptoms :pray: :pray:

I did reach out to Cognetti, sent my reports over and never heard back. Even after following up. Thank you so much!! I have my fingers crossed

Since ES can be the result of tonsillectomies (scar tissue forms in the back of the throat & puts pressure on the styloids which tell the brain they need reinforcing so they can support the new pressure they bear which leads to extra calcium being laid down which results in ES). Additionally, ligaments can calcify even in the absence of elongated styloids & those can cause ES symptoms as well.

After reading your recent post, I think you’re making the right decision for the moment, BUT if your symptoms persist once you’re healed from this next tonsillectomy, it would be worth it to reach out to Dr. Cognetti again or Dr. Hackman.

I will also pray for you on your surgery date - both for a textbook surgery & for a symptoms-free recovery!

I appreciate it! Thank you for your input. I will let you guys know how everything turns out :pray:t3:

2 Likes

Not good not hearing back! Wil be brilliant for you if this surgery does the trick! :pray:

1 Like