Not Diagnosed / Looking for symptom confirmation

Thank you! I finally had my baby on the 18th and thankfully have felt around 80% better. I still have some sort of swelling on the floor of my mouth and can feel the very uncomfortable poking feeling when I swallow although a lot better. Jaw pain is still there and some days causes pain in my teeth. Still very convinced it’s ES due to feeling it poke through below my jaw and also feeling pain and immediately going inside my mouth to the hard bony protrusion. Wondering which route would be my best bet to getting diagnosed. From my understanding I need a CT without contrast? But also curious as to which type of doctor would be my best bet considering I don’t want to get a run around (although I am sure I will). I don’t believe the ENT I saw a few times while pregnant has any idea really about ES and he seems to just think I’m a hypochondriac :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Congratulations :hugs: :sparkling_heart: I hope you’re getting some sleep! Good that you’re feeling a bit better…You’re right that a CT without contrast (unless you had vascular symptoms in which case one with contrast is better) is the best scan to get diagnosed with. To save wasted time & travelling, we suggest that you see someone on our list who would be aware of ES, here’s a link:
Doctor Lists – no discussion - Symptoms and Treatments / Doctor Information - Living with Eagle
You can search for any doctors names in the past discussions to see who’s seen the different docs.
Best wishes & God bless you & your little one :bouquet:

Hooray! Congrats happy new mama!! I’m not surprised that your symptoms have lessened as hormonal influence can exacerbate symptoms of ES. Since your hormones are shifting around now, that may be part of the reason you feel a bit better.

Dr. Bunnell is a good choice in your state though I don’t know if he’s anywhere near you. He has a great reputation & has helped several of our members over the last couple of years.

3 Likes

I feel a whole lot better but am still experiencing jaw pain along with salivary gland swelling. I went to a TMJ dentist and he was super kind and helpful in that regards. He thinks I may have a salivary stone but he said that I’d need to find an ENT or oral surgeon who could confirm. He did some panoramic X-rays. Figured I’d attach them here for opinions. Not sure if my styloids look to be in normal range from this? Also know I really need to get a CT scan for best confirmation.

1 Like

The styloids do look quite angled & pointy, that can cause symptoms as well as the length, especially the right one (left in the image). If you think you might have a salivary stone, try sucking lemon sweets, the sharpness should stimulate saliva & might help shift it. I think somewhere on here there was a link to a YouTube video about salivary gland massage, you could try googling that otherwise…I’ve had them occasionally, it was partly why I was referred to a clinic & got the ES diagnosis, others have had them too.

1 Like

I totally agree w/ Jules about your styloids. Remember, it’s not just length that plays into ES symptoms. Shorter but more angled, pointed, twisted, or thick styloids can also cause symptoms.

I agree and will definitely be getting a scan to confirm/figure out where my symptoms are coming from. I was looking at my panoramic X-ray again and I’m just curious if this is anything? I only noticed it when I zoomed in closely and it’s only on right side.