Ocular Migraines

Does anyone on here suffer from ocular migraines? I’m wondering if mine could be a result of my remaining styloid on my left side that hasn’t been operated on yet.

Yes. I get them about once a year. I don’t get much of an actual headache, just the visual aura symptom for about 30 minutes. I have no idea if they are styloid-related.

2 Likes

Exactly! There’s no headache with it and they only last about 30 minutes to an hour. The issue is I have problems seeing. It feels like I’m looking through a kaleidoscope. I get them every two months approximately.

1 Like

Hi, yes I have had temporary loss of/poor vision which I believe is linked to My VES and for me abnormal blood being trapped in my skull. Medics at emergency room were no use at all.

Tbh I have recently had some more serious eye problems, but they may be unrelated to VES. I don’t know.

These vision episodes can be scary but mostly they do pass and vision returns to normal, which is good. D

2 Likes

Yes! Primary one eye, my right. The neurologist wanted to give me a shot in the back of my neck to try to block it and i respectfully declined. Nerve blocker. I don’t know I’m having bilateral surgery in October and just hoping it helps.

3 Likes

Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Ddmarie,
Good luck with your upcoming surgery. I hope you get some relief soon.

2 Likes

I’ve been diagnosed with dry eyes that have been causing some vision issues and am now on drops and a warm moist mask over my eyes at night. The ocular migraines seem like they would be more neurological. That’s why I’m wondering if my left styloid could be involved in any way.

@beachlady,

It’s my personal opinion that your remaining styloid could be contributing to/causing your ocular migraines. The trigeminal & facial nerves both contribute to eye function, & both are primary candidates for irritation/compression by an elongated styloid. Though I didn’t have ocular migraines, I had the feeling of extreme pressure behind my left eye - like something was trying to push my eyeball out of the socket from behind. It was bad enough, I found myself checking the mirror several times a day to see if my eyeball was bulging out of the socket. The sensation was totally gone when I woke up from having my left styloid removed.

4 Likes

@Isaiah_40_31 Thank you. I will follow up with Dr. Bunnell.

2 Likes

Oh this just makes me SO happy to hear that your issue was resolved after surgery! I do the same thing with my right eye Always looking in the mirror to check!

3 Likes

Thank you I truly appreciate your kind words. I am hoping you are able to get things taken care of as well.

3 Likes

go with the block. the surgery probably wont help. unless you actually have eagles syndrome and long styloids

@nolan,

All the people in this thread have been diagnosed w/ Eagle Syndrome & have either had surgery or are awaiting surgery or are awaiting their second surgery for bilateral ES.

I’ve forgotten, have you had your surgery yet? If so, how are you doing now?

2 Likes

Thanks but I have very thick and elongated styloids bilaterally it’s been confirmed by multiple Drs now.

Hello,
I am undiagnosed but I get ocular migraines frequently, once a week and have for a few years now. Mine last around 20 mins and exactly as you describe- like looking through a kaleidoscope. For me it starts as small blur in my vision and slowly gets bigger, flashing and shimmering it’s very disorienting. I never used to get headaches with these visual disturbances until around 2 years ago. Now every time I have one I will get a migraine after. I am yet to find a trigger and when it does happen I just have to sit down and wait for it to pass. I have had a few while out shopping which has made me lose my balance and fall.
However when I was pregnant I was prescribed daily aspirin throughout and I noticed a reduction in them.

1 Like

Wow! Yours are bad @Kellymarie. I have a neurosurgeon that lives in the condo below me. I’ll ask him and get back to you with what he tells me.

3 Likes

Hey Beachlady, yes it’s very debilitating and also have other “Eagles symptoms” but going round in circles with getting diagnosed. I was referred to a neurologist due to the migraines and balance issues, He ordered a brain mri but that came back unremarkable. I have a lot of symptoms going on so I was also referred to maxillofacial. I had a MRI with contrast around 2/3 weeks ago and still waiting for the results. Migraines with aura are something I’ve had to learn to live with even though I know it’s not normal to have them so frequently. I’ve been to countless G.Ps and also have my eyes tested each year, nobody can find a cause. Can I ask, do you find you are sensitive to light (like in general?) I have noticed I have had a few when going from the sunlight to a dark room.

1 Like

@Kellymarie,

I’m sorry for your frustration in trying to get a diagnosis & for your migraine challenges. If you can get a doctor to send you for a CT scan of the area between your skull base & hyoid bone to get a good look at your styloid processes, that would help a lot. MRIs show mostly soft tissues & though the styloids can be visible, they’re often masked by the overlaying soft tissues so if they’re elongated or the stylohyoid ligaments are calcified, this can be missed. A CT w/ contrast can look for vascular compression of either the internal jugular vein or internal carotid artery, but again, those show soft tissues which can mask the styloids.

Are you able to see any of the doctors on our list for your country?

1 Like

Hey Isaiah,
Thank you for the info.
I was hoping so much my maxillofacial Dr was going to order a CT rather than a MRI. I just didn’t really question the maxillofacial Dr as I was abit shot down my by previous ENT appointment where he was very dismissive. Also topped with bit of appointment anxiety! I requested a CT at my ENT appointment but he wasn’t going to offer any scans. He diagnosed me with neuralgia and possible muscular skeletal issues. The maxillofacial Dr could feel something in my throat but thinks it’s scar tissue from my tonsillectomy. He also said he didn’t receive my dental report and X-rays from my G.P or dentist. I find I’m losing faith abit in this whole process.
It would be difficult for me to pay and go private but not saying never at the moment. I guess my next step is to wait for the MRI contrast results and take it from there.