Old Discussions from US Doctors Familiar With ES

Good Morning, How did you come into contact with this doctor and do you know how many surgeries he has performed. I was scheduled for left side open surgery in Minnesota and one month later cancelled the program. looking for some closer and is good. Thanks ,Daryl

Hi Daryl. I was referred to the University of Iowa Hospital by my primary care provider. I just got lucky and was scheduled with Dr. Van Daele who is familiar with ES. I’m not sure how many surgeries he has performed, but he did a great job with mine and the scar has healed well. My symptoms unfortunately did not go away permanently, but we have determined my symptoms are not related to my styloids, but rather muscular problems. Despite that, I would recommend Dr. Van Daele as a ES surgeon. I hope that helps! -Athena

1 Like

Does anyone know of or had surgery by Dr. Peter Volser head and neck surgeon at Serasota, Florida. First physicians group at this location. Thanks.

@Daryl,

We have a number of good ES surgeons on our doctors list for Florida, but Dr. Volser’s name has never come up on our forum. We know our list is not complete & we add the names & contact information for doctors experienced w/ ES as we learn about them.

If you’d like some specific names from our FL list, who have done successful surgeries for our members, I’d be happy to give you some.

1 Like

Good morning, Isaiah First, thank you for always being there for my questions since day one when I found your support group. interestingly enough I did find a surgeon in Iowa city, Iowa. His name is Dr. Douglas J. Van Daele. Otolaryngoloist. I spoke with his office coordinator Mag this morning and ask a few questions. She was very helpful. They tell me he has done over 100 eagles syndrome surgeries doing the external approach. Dr. Van Daele nurse Jackie is off today. She will be back in the office on Monday and will address the other questions that I brought forward. Also interesting is that most of the surgeons that Iam looking for do not mention eagles syndrome treatment in there treatment program. AS of right now he seams to be the most experienced surgeon that I have found .How would go about to ask your group if any of them have seen this surgeon, and how could I share hie name with anyone else that is looking for a sugeon. Thanks again for help.

1 Like

Hi Isaiah, I justed looked back at some of my responders and there was someone who had surgery by this MD that I mentioned. I,am getting old did not even think of looking back at my response notes. Sorry about that.

1 Like

Thank you for the info- he is on the current list, nice to know a bit more about him :+1:

1 Like

How do you ask if anyone else has had surgery by this doctor by any of the eagle support group members.

What were your symptoms. Thanks.

Hi @Daryl!

You have posted this message on the public part of our forum so all our members can see it. Hopefully you’ll get some good responses to your question but you can also click on the magnifying glass icon in the upper right of this page & type the word symptoms into the search box that comes up. After hitting return, a list of posts will show up where people have discussed their symptoms. You will get a lot of information that way.

I had many symptoms but mine started w/ choking on food & when drinking water. A year or more later, I started having a pain in the front of my neck near my thyroid. After sometime passed, I found a lump under my jaw, & when I poked it, it caused the pain in the front of my neck to intensify. I also developed ear & face pain, pressure behind my left eye, shoulder & collar bone pain, pain at the back of my skull, & ears, blood pressure drops when I exercised & racing heart when that happened, plus light-headedness/dizziness & shortness of breath, & pressure at the base of my tongue. These were the most pronounced, but I had other symptoms as well.

To save you time, here is the link to the list of posts where people discuss their symptoms:

https://forum.livingwitheagle.org/search?q=symptoms

Here is another link to a specific post made by Jules that pretty comprehensively lists the symptoms ES can cause. You may need to scroll to the top to see the info she wrote:

You can start your own discussion to ask anything too- just click on the blue + tab on the bottom right of the home screen, then you can create a new topic. Make sure you give it a title & chose a category (either doctor info or general is fine), and once you’ve typed in your question you click on the bottom left tab ‘+Create New Topic’ to post it. You’ll automatically be notified of anyone posting.

1 Like

Which Dr were you referring to from weill Cornell that only did 3 es surgeries? A Dr was recommended and trying to avoid an inexperienced dr