One week from surgery update

@Isaiah_40_31 I looked into mederma unfortunately it has avobenzone and oxybenzone in it which my skin does not like! Gives me a rash. Living in Colorado I use sunscreen on my face everyday so I’ll definitely start on my scar once it’s a little less raw. For now I’ve been using it just around the actual incision, and wearing hats or covering. The cerave is just for dryness. Yesterday it was really ouchy because there was a small scab on there that was just pulling… I put a warm wash cloth on it for a while and it came off and feels so much better today. It’s getting close to fully healed if not already! I’m still a tad swollen but feeling good.

1 Like

That looks great! :smiley:

1 Like

Your poor daughter, must be so tough…& so hard for you too, thinking of you & sending you a hug :hugs:

1 Like

You are AWESOME parents for sticking with your daughter all along this journey! Some parents give up or get tired of dealing with it all & would slack off a bit. It sounds like you’ve been in the ring w/ her 100% of the way.

I am sorry, too, for what she’s been through. I’m sure she’s worn out from the long struggle. I bet she will rally once she starts seeing positive outcomes from her upcoming surgeries though the recoveries will take awhile.

We’re here to support you all along the way, NAVAS. :hugs:

3 Likes

Looks really GREAT, blossom! I’m glad you know what you can use topically & what to stay away from. Maybe the silicone patches would help. Not sure if they have any chemicals in them though.

1 Like

So awesome! Gives me lots of hope. We are in CO also. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like a scratch,!! hard to believe the archaeologists were in there digging for bones

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: You tickled my funny bone as always, optimistic!

Love that :joy: :joy:

Blossom so glad you are doing so well! Dont overdo it…pace yourself. Im not sure what ingrediants are in them, but I think there is a type of bandaid you can put on the scar to help with healing. Hugs :hugs:

2 Likes

I am now almost three weeks from surgery (Wednesday will be three weeks.) I had about five pain free days where I felt amazing… I kinda felt like it was too good to be true. Unfortunately it was. My pre surgery symptoms are back for the time being for the past five days or so. I got my Covid vaccine booster shot and the day after that is when my symptoms returned. Could have been a coincidence but I wish I’d have waited longer for the booster shot to know for sure. I am pro vaccine and am not advocating for people to not get vaccinated, just sharing my experience. I really don’t want to debate whether vaccines are harmful.

I’m trying to stay positive and remind myself three weeks out isn’t very long! Recovery will have ups and downs, etc. My surgeon said to give it six weeks and I’m not even halfway there yet. Emotionally, however, it has been hard. Being pain free for a few days I realized how much mental space was taken up by my pain and managing it. I have cried a lot because I feel hopeless. But I am trying so hard to still have hope and remain optimistic. My next follow up is November 18 and if I’m still in pain then, I may ask to go back on the blood thinner even just for a trial period. It’s hard to function normally when I am just taking NSAIDs and using ice.

I do feel the headaches have lessened in intensity some, but the neck and shoulder pain is back full force. My first bite seems to also be less intense now and I’m grateful for that.

I’m back to work today and will be working four days a week now for the next month or so. Hoping it’ll be a decent distraction and not too stressful or hard physically.

I could really use some encouragement if anyone has some to spare.

1 Like

Try to be positive blossom, we’ve all had ups & downs after surgery so I’m sure you’ll soon be feeling better :hugs: Three weeks is very early, & because you’ve had good days, you know the surgery has helped, so keep reminding yourself that! Many others have not made the progress you have in these first few weeks, so keep strong…I hope that your job’s not too difficult, if you do have much pain still perhaps you could cut the hours down even more? It may be when you’ve healed completely from surgery that physiotherapy might help with the arm & shoulder pain.
I’ll keep praying that it settles again soon :pray: :bouquet:

2 Likes

Thanks @Jules for reminding me how fortunate I am that I even had some pain free days and for your encouragement. Going back to work was good for me today, it helped distract me and the distraction (work) is a cute 4-month old baby so not really that stressful. I don’t feel it’s too strenuous and actually feel better after having spent the day there. I didn’t have a headache today either, so that’s great. Tylenol worked for the neck pain. Hoping everyday is a little better!

3 Likes

Good you’re enjoying your job, I forgot you were working as a nanny! As long as the baby naps better than my boys did :joy:
Very pleased that you felt a bit better for it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Hey Blossom wanted to check in see how are you feeling now? Been wishing all the best for you. Almost pain-free again?

Hi blossom,

The healing process can be a bit of a roller coaster ride. I’m so glad that going back to work has helped keep your mind busy on something other than recurrent pain/symptoms. How much fun for you to be able to nanny such a little cutie!

I will be praying you’ll get back to those good pain-free/lower-pain days & that your symptoms will all resolve as your body heals. :heart: :pray:

2 Likes

@hyperichard I’m doing better as of yesterday! Didn’t have to take anything for pain, so I consider that a win. No neck pain and very very mild head weirdness. I still have first bite but it’s not really that bad compared to Eagles pain.

3 Likes

That’s good news!

Hi Blossom,
What a roller coaster for you. I am so sorry to hear that your neck/shoulder pain and headache have come back. I wish I had advice, but please know that I am thinking about you.

I am glad to hear that the past couple of days have been better again. I hope that things just continue to heal and improve for you! Have you talked to Dr. Hepworth about it? I can’t remember( blaming it on my bloodflow lol), are you planning on having the other side done eventually? Please continue to keep us updated. Better days ahead.

3 Likes

Thanks @Eagle1 ! It’s just been kind of up and down, but that’s still better than just down. Haha. My headache was back today but didn’t have any neck pain. I have an appointment with the NP on November 18 and since it has only been three weeks or so and Dr H said to give it six weeks, I haven’t called. I have all of the tools and prescriptions I need to help with the pain so not sure they can do anything, I’ve just been trying to get through it. It’s too bad I got a rash from the Celebrex because I’d like to be able to use that. At my next appointment if I still feel bad I may ask if I can do a trial of plavix again or something. It really helped with all of my symptoms.

My symptoms are only on my right side and as far as I know my right side was the one with the elongated styloid, calcification and scar tissue pinching my jugular. The venogram in surgery showed my left side was flowing well the whole time. So fingers crossed I won’t need the left side done. I do consider myself lucky that I just have symptoms on the right.

3 Likes